San Francisco, CA
Android Mobile Engineer
There's a problem that's been unsolved for 40 years. It's called carpooling - heard of it? We know you have. But now, there's a team of engineers, marketers, and business builders actually making headway on this problem. With more than 650,000 carpool trips taken in our first 18 months, Scoop is the largest carpooling platform in the United States. The Scoop team has made carpooling easy for the first time - and we are looking for awesome developers to help us continue the fight against traffic.
Maybe it's you? The Scoop team has a simple mission: to eliminate traffic and reimagine transportation, giving life back to commuters and communities. Two years after our San Francisco Bay Area launch, Scoop has become a vibrant community of coworkers and neighbors across the Bay and, more recently, Seattle. Our mobile-first commuting technology powers the carpooling programs of many of the Bay Area and Seattle's largest employers, including Cisco, Tesla, Workday, and Salesforce.
About the Android Engineering role
We’re looking for a smart, creative, and self-motivated individual who thrives in a fast-paced startup environment and has extensive engineering experience. Whether you're a maker, problem solver, or just someone who loves taking on the next challenge, Scoop may be the right next adventure for you. You’ll be working mainly on the Android app with the help of the front-end lead, tackling new features, squashing bugs, and helping to keep the code base clean. You’ll also have an opportunity work on the iOS app and backend stack, if interested, to further develop your cross-platform skills.
Our Android Stack
-Mobile lab with dozens of devices
-We’re moving to a navigator/custom view approach instead of activities/fragments to help testing and component reusability
-Exciting challenges with mapping and location
We have a strong culture of documentation: everything from designs and UX flows to API endpoints is well documented. Our tech debt is also minimal and our foundations are solid. We do code reviews and weekly stand ups. We're collaborative but direct, focused on building and shipping great code and products.
- 1+ years in a full-time Android/mobile development role.
- Additional 1-2 years of other engineering experience a plus
- Fluency in Github, maintaining version control and mobile testing.
- A desire to own whole features and large parts of the app.
- BA/BS in computer science, or equivalent degree
- Experience working with testing suites
- Experience developing location aware mobile applications
- Additional experience developing or building iOS apps
- Vacation as needed (no cap on days)
- Free lunch 4 days a week via EatClub
- Top of the line laptop, 4k monitor and accessories
- $1,500 a year toward educational conferences or events, plus a $200 education slush fund per employee
We're all avid teachers and students, so we look forward working and learning together as a team!