Director, Cloud Infrastructure
Tala is a global technology company building the world’s most accessible financial services. With more than $350 million raised from visionary investors, we are serving millions of customers around the world who have been overlooked by traditional financial institutions – and our plan is to serve millions more, and have been named by the Fortune Impact 20 list, CNBC’s Disruptor 50, and Forbes’ Fintech 50 list for four years running. We are expanding across product offerings, countries and crypto and are looking for people who have an entrepreneurial spirit and are passionate about the mission.
By creating a unique platform that enables lending and other financial services around the globe, people in emerging markets are able to start and expand small businesses, manage day-to-day needs, and pursue their financial goals with confidence. Currently, more than 6 million people across Kenya, the Philippines, Mexico, and India have used Tala products. Due to our global team, we have a remote-first approach, and also have offices in Santa Monica, CA (HQ); Nairobi, Kenya; Mexico City, Mexico; Manila, the Philippines; and Bangalore, India.
Most Talazens join us because they connect with our mission of enabling financial agency for underbanked people around the world. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Tala, we’d love to hear from you!
The Director of Cloud Infrastructure (CIE) will lead development, operations & service management for all Public Cloud Infrastructure. They will provide thought, technical and operational leadership for the Tala cloud service, streamline associated processes, minimize service interruptions, report service levels with transparency, reduce cloud costs, and minimize risk associated with technology failures. As a key member of the Cloud Engineering leadership team this role contributes to the development and execution of the Cloud Infrastructure team that is fully aligned with business objectives.
What you'll do:
- Growing and developing an incredible team of talented and motivated engineers with high expectations around individual ownership and impact
- Lead by example, mentor the team and establish credibility through quality technical execution.
- Lead the team on projects for automation, continuous deploy and be directly responsible for uptime.
- Own end-to-end availability and performance of key services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence. Automate response to all non-exceptional service conditions.
- Develop and foster a healthy and collaborative culture with other teams outside of Cloud Infrastructure Engineering
- 7-10 years management experience leading a Cloud Operations / Site Reliability / Production Engineering team working with globally distributed teams in a fast paced environment
- 7-10 years experience in running SaaS services in production
- Experience implementing a strategy shifting from an infrastructure-focused to an Automation / AI focused model
- Experience with Cloud Security compliance and audits
- Excellent communication skills within and across teams
- Detail oriented. The ideal candidate is one who naturally digs as deep as they need to understand the why
- Demonstrated understanding of:
- Cloud Services, such as Azure, AWS, or GCP
- Enterprise Architecture, Service Dependencies, and CMDB best practices
- Linux / Windows Server Platforms and Architecture
- Container orchestration such as Kubernetes
- Monitoring & logging tools such as Datadog, ELK, Splunk etc
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Information Technology degree, or degree from a technical or Engineering discipline
- Dynamic and fun, with a proven track record for innovation and thought leadership
- Proactive, outgoing approach towards introducing ideas and participating in detailed technological discussion
Our vision is to build a new financial ecosystem where everyone can participate on equal footing and access the tools they need to be financially healthy. We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse global team that represents a multitude of backgrounds, cultures, and experience. We hire talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.