Tala is a global technology company building the world’s most accessible financial services. With more than $350 million raised from visionary investors, we are serving millions of customers around the world who have been overlooked by traditional financial institutions – and our plan is to serve millions more, and have been named by the Fortune Impact 20 list, CNBC’s Disruptor 50, and Forbes’ Fintech 50 list for four years running. We are expanding across product offerings, countries and crypto and are looking for people who have an entrepreneurial spirit and are passionate about the mission.
By creating a unique platform that enables lending and other financial services around the globe, people in emerging markets are able to start and expand small businesses, manage day-to-day needs, and pursue their financial goals with confidence. Currently, more than 6 million people across Kenya, the Philippines, Mexico, and India have used Tala products. Due to our global team, we have a remote-first approach, and also have offices in Santa Monica, CA (HQ); Nairobi, Kenya; Mexico City, Mexico; Manila, the Philippines; and Bangalore, India.
Most Talazens join us because they connect with our mission of enabling financial agency for underbanked people around the world. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Tala, we’d love to hear from you!
Tala’s Philippines office is looking for a detail-oriented and dynamic hands-on tax director with experience working in a rapidly growing, hands-on, start-up environment. This position requires excellent communication skills, an ability to think critically and creatively, attention to detail and a team-oriented attitude. The responsibilities of the role are as follows:
What you'll do:
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual tax filings and any other schedule for submission required by BIR
- Be the primary point of contact for our local tax advisors and PH tax authorities (BIR)
- Manage BIR tax audits and assessments including coordination with our local tax advisors of the preparation and submission of company responses to LoA, PAN, FAN/FLD and similar.
- Maintain tax tracker and related documentation for Tala Philippines
- Perform routine tax health checks for Tala Philippines and assess the level of compliance and potential exposures and/or opportunities for improvements.
- Perform tax research and assess the tax implications of various business scenarios such as new products, partnerships and capital markets initiatives, including the tax technical analysis as well as projections of potential tax impact.
- Assist in recommending, formulating, and implementing company tax policies and procedures including tax process improvement projects
- Monitor legislative & regulatory developments that may impact the company's tax positions and/or compliance requirements.
- Support HQ with tax projects for Tala Philippines and our other global markets
- Support maintenance and transformation of our transfer pricing policies
- Ad Hoc projects as they arise, we are a start-up after all!
What you'll need:
- Experience in local tax compliance in the Philippines
- 11+ years of progressive experience in the accounting and/or tax space including a minimum of 4 years in Public Accounting (Preferably BIG 4)
- Local PH CPA
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Intrinsically motivated by attention to detail and quality of work
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or Related Field.
- Possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including ability to articulate recommendations in a concise and timely manner.
- Exceptional work ethic.
- Able to handle multiple tasks and maintain control and order over the same.
- Conscientious about timeliness of assignments and quality of work product.
- Experience working for a global company with teams and offices located in different geographies and time zones.
- Experience working in consumer finance
- Experience working with IFRS reporting
Our vision is to build a new financial ecosystem where everyone can participate on equal footing and access the tools they need to be financially healthy. We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse global team that represents a multitude of backgrounds, cultures, and experience. We hire talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.