Senior Software Engineer
Mexico City /
Tala is a global technology company building the world’s most accessible financial services. With more than $350 million raised from visionary investors, we are serving millions of customers around the world who have been overlooked by traditional financial institutions – and our plan is to serve millions more, and have been named by the Fortune Impact 20 list, CNBC’s Disruptor 50, and Forbes’ Fintech 50 list for four years running. We are expanding across product offerings, countries and crypto and are looking for people who have an entrepreneurial spirit and are passionate about the mission.
By creating a unique platform that enables lending and other financial services around the globe, people in emerging markets are able to start and expand small businesses, manage day-to-day needs, and pursue their financial goals with confidence. Currently, more than 6 million people across Kenya, the Philippines, Mexico, and India have used Tala products. Due to our global team, we have a remote-first approach, and also have offices in Santa Monica, CA (HQ); Nairobi, Kenya; Mexico City, Mexico; Manila, the Philippines; and Bangalore, India.
Most Talazens join us because they connect with our mission of enabling financial agency for underbanked people around the world. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Tala, we’d love to hear from you!
The Senior Software Engineer builds and extends Tala’s backend architecture to support new country launches, new features, and fast growing user base. As a technologist and a leader, the Senior Backend Engineer pushes the team towards building a highly available, scalable, reliable, fault tolerant, and performant microservices platform. The Senior Backend Engineer follows and improves upon Tala’s engineering processes and standards while advancing Tala’s mission and business objectives
This is a technical leadership role within Tala’s technical track. You will report to the Backend Engineering Manager and collaborate cross-functionally with all Tala teams across the globe.
What you'll do
- Designing and building large components or multiple services
- Ensure high quality of architecture and design of systems
- Create the optimum technical solution considering all the non-functional requirements
- Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions
- Articulate precisely both technical and business requirements by engaging with architects, data scientists, businesses and product managers
- Engage with team members through technical discussions, design and ideation through white-boarding
- Evaluate the technical needs and select appropriate software, hardware, scalability and security requirement and suggest integration method
What you'll need
- 6+ years’ experience building successful production software systems
- Solid grounding in Computer Science fundamentals (based on a BS or MS in CS or related field)
- Incisive ability and demonstrated experience to convert raw requirements into solid architecture and design while exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs
- Strong understanding of Java and open-source technologies
- Experience designing and deploying for cloud technologies (AWS or GCP)
- Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers to maintain architectural vision and software quality
- Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment
Our vision is to build a new financial ecosystem where everyone can participate on equal footing and access the tools they need to be financially healthy. We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse global team that represents a multitude of backgrounds, cultures, and experience. We hire talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.