SVP of People
Tala is a global technology company building the world’s most accessible financial services. With more than $350 million raised from visionary investors, we are serving millions of customers around the world who have been overlooked by traditional financial institutions – and our plan is to serve millions more, and have been named by the Fortune Impact 20 list, CNBC’s Disruptor 50, and Forbes’ Fintech 50 list for four years running. We are expanding across product offerings, countries and crypto and are looking for people who have an entrepreneurial spirit and are passionate about the mission.
By creating a unique platform that enables lending and other financial services around the globe, people in emerging markets are able to start and expand small businesses, manage day-to-day needs, and pursue their financial goals with confidence. Currently, more than 6 million people across Kenya, the Philippines, Mexico, and India have used Tala products. Due to our global team, we have a remote-first approach, and also have offices in Santa Monica, CA (HQ); Nairobi, Kenya; Mexico City, Mexico; Manila, the Philippines; and Bangalore, India.
Most Talazens join us because they connect with our mission of enabling financial agency for underbanked people around the world. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Tala, we’d love to hear from you!
The mission is to co-create an engaging environment at Tala that fosters a healthy, creative and productive work space through serving as a strategic and operational leader who specifically oversees Human Resources functions including talent management, organizational development; employee relations; talent acquisition; on-boarding; off-boarding; performance management; training and staff development initiatives; policy.
Expectations and Experience:
- Think strategically about employee recruiting, hiring, engagement and retention
- Track record of building and leading HR cross-functional teams, ideally globally dispersed teams
- Harness the existing culture and values when building out internal people-related policies while devising new ways to reinforce and improve upon the culture
- Promoting inclusion in the workplace and reinforcing our position as an equal opportunity employer
- Being a thought partner to the executive team in formulating career development plans
- Coach executive team to think about talent landscape, calibration and succession planning
- Identify and measure organizational Health KPIs and OKRs for the People Division
- Assess and lead employee engagement and culture building strategy to create a healthy employee lifecycle
- Experience in crafting talent acquisition strategies to build strong pipelines for future hiring needs
- Ability to recruit and hire best-in-class and diverse talent
- Lift the leadership capabilities of those around them and act as a strong mentor
- Ability to train and develop all functions across business priorities and uplevel teams and leadership
- Optimize the use of people analytics software to manage talent
- Oversee proactive planning for remote office culture
- Mission-driven with genuine passion around the customer, excited about making a difference in people’s lives
- Exposure or hands-on experience and/or interest/passion in emerging markets (personally or professionally)
- Aligned - with Tala’s vision, mission, and founding principles.
- Collaborator - Low ego, low drama, high empathy, high self awareness, high integrity, and works well cross functionally.
- Transparency - You'll be committed to making the People Team as open and transparent as possible.
- Motivator - You'll demonstrate the ability to engage & inspire a global People team
- Strong business judgment - able to make appropriate trade-offs correctly.
- Prepared - does their homework, is hands-on and provides data, digs for answers.
- Customer focused - brand sensitive with a customer and partner service orientation.
- Relentless – hungry to get the data and constantly focusing on optimizing efficiency and figuring out how to move with speed.
- Optimistic Energizer - regularly energizes the team around them, acting with urgency and hunger, while also able to deliver complex deliverables at scale.
- Strong oral + written communicator – able to explain complexity in a simple way.
- Systems oriented - Ability to understand a complex business and zoom in and zoom out when appropriate.
- Entrepreneurial and growth mindset - encourages their teams to think creatively and outside the box as the company grows
Our vision is to build a new financial ecosystem where everyone can participate on equal footing and access the tools they need to be financially healthy. We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse global team that represents a multitude of backgrounds, cultures, and experience. We hire talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.