Engineer II (US)
Tala is a global technology company building the world’s most accessible financial services. With more than $350 million raised from visionary investors, we are serving millions of customers around the world who have been overlooked by traditional financial institutions – and our plan is to serve millions more, and have been named by the Fortune Impact 20 list, CNBC’s Disruptor 50, and Forbes’ Fintech 50 list for four years running. We are expanding across product offerings, countries and crypto and are looking for people who have an entrepreneurial spirit and are passionate about the mission.
By creating a unique platform that enables lending and other financial services around the globe, people in emerging markets are able to start and expand small businesses, manage day-to-day needs, and pursue their financial goals with confidence. Currently, more than 6 million people across Kenya, the Philippines, Mexico, and India have used Tala products. Due to our global team, we have a remote-first approach, and also have offices in Santa Monica, CA (HQ); Nairobi, Kenya; Mexico City, Mexico; Manila, the Philippines; and Bangalore, India.
Most Talazens join us because they connect with our mission of enabling financial agency for underbanked people around the world. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Tala, we’d love to hear from you!
The Backend Engineer builds and extends Tala’s backend architecture to support new country launches, products, and features, and serves a rapidly growing user base. As a technologist, he/she contributes to the team towards building a highly available, scalable, reliable, fault-tolerant, and performant microservices platform. The Backend Engineer fully understands Tala’s engineering processes and standards and implements Tala’s mission and business objectives.
You will report to the Director of Engineering and collaborate cross-functionally with all Tala teams across the globe.
What you'll do
- Contributes to the design and autonomously implements features as defined in the Product roadmap
- Review design documents, perform code reviews
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams (Product, Data, Credit, and Business Development) to understand the business needs
- Experience with monitoring and alerting capabilities of backend modules to allow proactive improvements to availability and response times
- 3-5 years of backend software engineering experience
- Excellent ability to communicate in a fast-paced environment
- Prior experience in one or more of the following languages: Java, Kotlin or Scala
- Prior relational database experience preferred (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, or MS SQL)
- Prior experience in working with Messaging broker / event-driven systems using Kafka / RabbitMQ/ SQS
- BS degree in Computer Science or related fields is a plus
Our vision is to build a new financial ecosystem where everyone can participate on equal footing and access the tools they need to be financially healthy. We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse global team that represents a multitude of backgrounds, cultures, and experience. We hire talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.