Compliance Audit Analyst
Mexico City /
Tala is a global technology company building the world’s most accessible financial services. With more than $350 million raised from visionary investors, we are serving millions of customers around the world who have been overlooked by traditional financial institutions – and our plan is to serve millions more, and have been named by the Fortune Impact 20 list, CNBC’s Disruptor 50, and Forbes’ Fintech 50 list for four years running. We are expanding across product offerings, countries and crypto and are looking for people who have an entrepreneurial spirit and are passionate about the mission.
By creating a unique platform that enables lending and other financial services around the globe, people in emerging markets are able to start and expand small businesses, manage day-to-day needs, and pursue their financial goals with confidence. Currently, more than 6 million people across Kenya, the Philippines, Mexico, and India have used Tala products. Due to our global team, we have a remote-first approach, and also have offices in Santa Monica, CA (HQ); Nairobi, Kenya; Mexico City, Mexico; Manila, the Philippines; and Bangalore, India.
Most Talazens join us because they connect with our mission of enabling financial agency for underbanked people around the world. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Tala, we’d love to hear from you!
Tala is seeking a Compliance Audit Analyst to support Tala’s compliance infrastructure through monitoring policies and procedures, helping to implement and enforce internal controls and provide regular reporting to the company’s Compliance group.
This is a key role in Tala’s consumer compliance program and supports other regulatory initiatives. Responsible for executing audits in assigned areas, ensuring monitoring and testing various aspects of the company’s operations including (i) auditing payments, adjustments, account revisions, (ii) ensuring complaints are investigated, (iii) reviewing suspicious activity, (iv) supporting any required AML auditing and reporting* and (v) other reviews as defined by the global compliance team.
Tala is a world leader in providing direct loans and financial services in emerging markets. We are a global team with diverse backgrounds who are singularly focused on using technology, data, and a customer-centric approach to meet the financial needs of the 2+ billion people of the emerging global middle class.
Great candidates will have extensive knowledge of Tala’s products and services, as well as the local landscape. You can and will roll up your sleeves to solve problems. You have a deep sense of accountability for (and demonstrated experience delivering) results. You work well with little supervision and have a high level of integrity. You are comfortable producing a high level of detailed and accurate documentation and reporting. Your teams and colleagues would describe you as an excellent communicator and decision-maker, strong attention to detail, highly ethical, collaborative problem solver, and highly accountable.
This role will work closely with our local legal team, external vendors and internal teams.
What you'll do:
- Perform internal audits on assigned processes based on risk including annual, periodic, and ad-hoc.
- Perform vendor audits to ensure compliance and reduce risk including annual, periodic, and ad-hoc.
- Scope, design, execute, and finalize audit programs.
- Track findings and follow up with responsible parties for resolution.
- Ensure monitoring of customer complaint tracking, resolution, and reporting. Ability to identify trends and help the team resolve immediately. Design reviews of gaps accordingly. Ensuring adherence to Global Complaints Policy.
- Day to day or periodic ownership of required internal compliance audits including data privacy, payments, adjustments, demographic changes, collection practices, and policy adherence.
- Monitor and conduct compliance training.
- Audits the adequacy of controls and monitoring within the business units. Design applicable controls where needed.
- Collaborate with counsel on risk areas and perform periodic regulatory audits, as directed by counsel.
- Oversight of fraudulent card activity, detection, and prevention* ensuring monitoring, controls, and reporting are in place.
- Due diligence for new and proposed Tier 1 vendors.
- Utilize and help develop reports in Looker or other sources to facilitate ongoing controls and monitoring.
- Prepare reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information.
- May assist in related policy creation.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Anti money laundering checks.
What you'll need:
- Knowledge of financial services products and services as well as the ability to understand operational processes, specifically lending.
- Knowledge of audit best practices and experience designing and executing an audit program from scoping through exit reporting.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google products.
- Strong analytical and communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and highly organized.
- Appropriate level of assertiveness and maturity.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to collaborate with key stakeholders, including our Legal team
- Superior judgment and rigor in relation to problem solving and appropriate escalation of issues.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently and independently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and manage multi-faceted projects in a fast-moving environment.
- Proficient in English and Spanish.
- Strong communication skills and ability to communicate findings and recommendations effectively.
- Willingness to work across time zones globally as this role reports to the US Headquarters.
Nice to have:
- Experience working in a startup environment.
- Experience with SQL, Looker or other reporting tools.
- At least 2 years of banking or Fintech experience. Collections, customer experience, or call quality experience preferred.
- Experience with a big 4 audit or consulting firm strongly preferred.
- Supervisory experience.
Our vision is to build a new financial ecosystem where everyone can participate on equal footing and access the tools they need to be financially healthy. We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse global team that represents a multitude of backgrounds, cultures, and experience. We hire talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.