VP, Corporate Affairs
Brand & Communications /
Tala is a global technology company building the world’s most accessible financial services. With more than $350 million raised from visionary investors, we are serving millions of customers around the world who have been overlooked by traditional financial institutions – and our plan is to serve millions more, and have been named by the Fortune Impact 20 list, CNBC’s Disruptor 50, and Forbes’ Fintech 50 list for five years running. We are expanding across product offerings, countries and crypto and are looking for people who have an entrepreneurial spirit and are passionate about the mission.
By creating a unique platform that enables lending and other financial services around the globe, people in emerging markets are able to start and expand small businesses, manage day-to-day needs, and pursue their financial goals with confidence. Currently, more than 7 million people across Kenya, the Philippines, Mexico, and India have used Tala products. Due to our global team, we have a remote-first approach, and also have offices in Santa Monica, CA (HQ); Nairobi, Kenya; Mexico City, Mexico; Manila, the Philippines; and Bangalore, India.
Most Talazens join us because they connect with our mission of enabling financial agency for underbanked people around the world. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Tala, we’d love to hear from you!
Tala is looking for a VP, Corporate Affairs to lead the development and execution of strategies that continue to establish Tala as a trusted, mission-driven fintech and enable the success of Tala’s business and social impact objectives. Reporting to the SVP, Brand and Communications and sitting on Tala’s global leadership team, this position will work through a broad and diverse coalition of external parties to build a long-term business and brand advantage through creative strategies spanning communications, government relations, and regulatory affairs. In addition to directly managing a nimble, high-impact corporate communications team, you will lead through influence to enable the success of Tala’s global external affairs teams in Kenya, the Philippines, Mexico, and India.
What you'll do:
- Lead the corporate communications team in the development and execution of strategies that continue to position Tala as a trusted, mission-driven fintech and support business growth and expansion
- Build external relations and communications programs to address key risks impacting Tala’s brand reputation and business objectives
- Oversee external relations programs for key corporate stakeholders including investors, government officials, partners and key global influencers to ensure consistency and alignment globally
- Working closely with the global external affairs team, provide strategic direction for communications, advocacy and other activities with policymakers, legislators, regulators, industry trade associations and peer companies
- Ensure consistency and execution across Tala’s communications, regulatory affairs, and government relations efforts
- Foster an ecosystem where Tala’s mission and business interests can flourish
- Build strong relationships to enhance Tala’s reputation and image as a trusted resource with key external parties such as government entities, industry associations, multilateral organizations, advocacy groups, academic institutions, etc
- Develop and manage a strategic plan for successfully achieving specific results which support and enable Tala’s business and product strategies to succeed
- Ensure organizational alignment on Tala’s issue priorities
- Collaborate with key global business leaders in order to advise on risks and opportunities concerning Tala’s reputation and operations
- Provide insights to aid Tala’s senior leaders in making informed investment decisions that mitigate near-term risks and build a long-term advantage in a rapidly changing global environment
- Lead through influence as much as through formal authority in a complex, matrixed organization
- Develop advocacy materials, position papers, and briefing documents as appropriate to aid in external affairs strategies and ensure consistency and alignment with Tala’s global objectives
- Partner with internal leaders across the legal, finance, compliance and people teams on matters related to corporate governance and sustainability
- Develop research and scholarship with internal teams and external partners to enable Tala’s external affairs strategies and contribute more broadly to emerging literature on technology, financial inclusion and global development
- Minimum of 12 years in public affairs, strategic communications, government affairs, or a related field
- Minimum of 4 years leading a public relations/public affairs or government affairs function in-house
- Substantive experience in policy and regulatory issue areas affecting the technology or financial sectors, including experience working through trade associations and lobbying efforts, and/or overseeing government and public relations for a national or global organization
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to establish credibility and build trusted relationships across a diverse network of external stakeholders including policymakers, regulators, industry leaders and NGOs
- Demonstrated record of excellence in strategic communications, crisis management, and media relations, with an ability to design high-leverage strategies across the evolving global media landscape
- Experience managing and developing diverse, high-performing teams and enabling people to reach their fullest potential
- Ability to manage complex relationships diplomatically and consultatively
- Ability to think innovatively; develop creative solutions and new programs
- Ability to lead through influence and work as part of a collaborative team across geographies
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- In-house experience preferred
- Global and/or emerging markets experience preferred
- Experience in finance, technology, or another highly regulated industry preferred
We strive to provide Talazens and their loved ones with a holistic benefit experience! We champion your financial, physical, and mental health by offering valuable benefits and resources to help you care for the whole you.
- Competitive compensation programs with stock/equity program
- Flexible work environments and Hybrid/Remote-first work model
- Medical (HMO, PPO, HSA), Dental PPO, Vision, FSA, DC FSA
- Employer paid Life w AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability
- 401k and Roth 401k
- Voluntary benefits like critical illness, accident, life, and pet insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Holidays, Unlimited PTO, Wellness/rest “sloth days”, Paid Parental leave, Birthday Holiday, Life Event Days off, paid sabbatical after 5 years of service, and more
- Health and Wellness events and seminars
$195,000 - $275,000 a year
Our vision is to build a new financial ecosystem where everyone can participate on equal footing and access the tools they need to be financially healthy. We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse global team that represents a multitude of backgrounds, cultures, and experience. We hire talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.