Data Platform Engineer II
Tala is a global technology company building the world’s most accessible financial services. With more than $350 million raised from visionary investors, we are serving millions of customers around the world who have been overlooked by traditional financial institutions – and our plan is to serve millions more, and have been named by the Fortune Impact 20 list, CNBC’s Disruptor 50, and Forbes’ Fintech 50 list for four years running. We are expanding across product offerings, countries and crypto and are looking for people who have an entrepreneurial spirit and are passionate about the mission.
By creating a unique platform that enables lending and other financial services around the globe, people in emerging markets are able to start and expand small businesses, manage day-to-day needs, and pursue their financial goals with confidence. Currently, more than 6 million people across Kenya, the Philippines, Mexico, and India have used Tala products. Due to our global team, we have a remote-first approach, and also have offices in Santa Monica, CA (HQ); Nairobi, Kenya; Mexico City, Mexico; Manila, the Philippines; and Bangalore, India.
Most Talazens join us because they connect with our mission of enabling financial agency for underbanked people around the world. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Tala, we’d love to hear from you!
The Data Platform Engineer II will contribute their expertise in building and maintaining high quality, monitored data pipelines which draw from a broad variety of business sources. This IC role will deliver new products and improvements within Tala’s Data Platform team, participating in collaborative design discussions and delivering well-tested, performant solutions which meet the quality and design standards of the senior engineering staff. The Data Platform Engineer II will proactively identify and overcome potential barriers to their project’s success, requesting appropriate guidance and mentorship from senior staff.
What you'll do?
- Solve routine problems in the capture, storage, and delivery of business data to Data Science, Business Intelligence, and other client teams.
- Work collaboratively with QA, Product, and Business teams to identify project needs and negotiate scopes of work.
- Understand project goals clearly and grasp how they fit into the larger scope of our business.
- Consistently set and meet time expectations for tasks.
- Be empowered by the planning process to select contextually appropriate tasks and approaches.
- Take part in code/design reviews to further develop your sense of code quality, maintainability, test coverage, and good design.
What you'll need?
- 2+ years experience working on backend software using modern languages and frameworks (Java, Scala, Python, GoLang)
- 1+ years of engineering experience relating to data engineering and large-scale data transformations
- Database experience, relational or non-relational (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Cassandra, HDFS)
- Hands-on experience in cloud computing (AWS, EC2, S3, RDS, ELB, GCP, Azure)
- Working knowledge in API development for mobile/web use
- Ability to prioritize and communicate in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to build, instrument, and engineer medium to complex projects without excessive reliance on the senior staff.
- Ability to clearly communicate and understand algorithms, design, and complex architectures.
- Ability to become quickly proficient with the tools and procedures used by the Data Platform team.
- Readiness to own a task throughout design, development, launch, and post-launch operability.
- Prefer experience with batch and real-time processing data (Kafka, Airflow)Prefer expert proficiency in Agile development process.
Our vision is to build a new financial ecosystem where everyone can participate on equal footing and access the tools they need to be financially healthy. We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse global team that represents a multitude of backgrounds, cultures, and experience. We hire talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.