Director, Global Tax & Treasury - Remote in Mexico
Mexico City /
Tala is a global technology company building the world’s most accessible financial services. With more than $350 million raised from visionary investors, we are serving millions of customers around the world who have been overlooked by traditional financial institutions – and our plan is to serve millions more, and have been named by the Fortune Impact 20 list, CNBC’s Disruptor 50, and Forbes’ Fintech 50 list for five years running. We are expanding across product offerings, countries and crypto and are looking for people who have an entrepreneurial spirit and are passionate about the mission.
By creating a unique platform that enables lending and other financial services around the globe, people in emerging markets are able to start and expand small businesses, manage day-to-day needs, and pursue their financial goals with confidence. Currently, more than 7 million people across Kenya, the Philippines, Mexico, and India have used Tala products. Due to our global team, we have a remote-first approach, and also have offices in Santa Monica, CA (HQ); Nairobi, Kenya; Mexico City, Mexico; Manila, the Philippines; and Bangalore, India.
Most Talazens join us because they connect with our mission of enabling financial agency for underbanked people around the world. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Tala, we’d love to hear from you!
What you'll do- General Accounting
- Assist the VP Global Controller in critical accounting processes such as Payroll and related reconciliations.
- Assist in the preparation and maintenance of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting to internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborate with the global Accounting team to improve and automate the month-end financial reporting process
- Support Finance team in other ad-hoc projects.
- Manage one direct report who is currently responsible for US-specific general accounting matters.
- Oversee global tax compliance across all markets.
- Implement and maintain adequate and effective tax controls.
- Work on new tax planning initiatives and prepare projections of tax payments & tax positions in collaboration with the Finance and local accounting team.
- Ensure significant tax positions are properly researched and documented, including tax considerations of new products and services.
- Oversee the local teams to ensure tax audits and tax authority relationships are properly managed.
- Manage transfer pricing studies for all inter-entity transactions.
- Manage global treasury policies and ensure proper controls around cash management across all markets.
- Coordinate with Finance to maintain a close view of our cash forecast and cash positions, optimizing our cash balances while maintaining optimal liquidity levels per entity.
- Optimize our FX Cash positions across all markets.
- Responsible for monthly treasury reporting, including cash flow analyses.
- Assist in evaluating and executing foreign exchange hedging protocols and ensure proper accounting of our derivative programs.
- Develop and implement appropriate governance structures around corporate expense policies and vendor management.
What you'll need
- Minimum of a BA or master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Economics.
- Active CPA license.
- Ideally, with a combined relevant work experience of 8-10 years between Big-4 accounting firms and experience in start-up companies.
- Possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to articulate recommendations concisely and timely.
- Intrinsically curious and motivated by attention to detail and quality of work
- Ability to make sound decisions autonomously and drive resolution of problems.
- Flexibility with schedule and willingness to adapt and connect with team members in different geographies and time zones (Africa & Asia)
We strive to provide Talazens and their loved ones with a holistic benefit experience! We champion your financial, physical, and mental health by offering valuable benefits and resources to help you care for the whole you. Here are the incredible benefits Tala provides:
- Competitive compensation programs with stock/equity program
- Flexible work environments and Hybrid/Remote-first work modelMedical (HMP, PPO, HSA), Dental PPO, Vision, FSA, DC FSA
- Employer paid Life w AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability 401k and Roth 401k
- Voluntary benefits like critical illness, accident, life, and pet insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Holidays, Unlimited PTO, Wellness/rest “sloth days”, Paid Parental leave, Birthday Holiday, Life Event Days off, paid sabbatical after 5 years of service, and more
- Health and Wellness events and seminars
- The above noted benefits list is not exhaustive list and is subject to change. To learn more about our benefits please visit https://tala.benefitseasy.com/ and reach out to your recruiter with any questions.
Our vision is to build a new financial ecosystem where everyone can participate on equal footing and access the tools they need to be financially healthy. We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse global team that represents a multitude of backgrounds, cultures, and experience. We hire talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.