Lead Engineer, Markets (Mexico)
Mexico City /
Tala is a global technology company building the world’s most accessible financial services. With more than $350 million raised from visionary investors, we are serving millions of customers around the world who have been overlooked by traditional financial institutions – and our plan is to serve millions more, and have been named by the Fortune Impact 20 list, CNBC’s Disruptor 50, and Forbes’ Fintech 50 list for four years running. We are expanding across product offerings, countries and crypto and are looking for people who have an entrepreneurial spirit and are passionate about the mission.
By creating a unique platform that enables lending and other financial services around the globe, people in emerging markets are able to start and expand small businesses, manage day-to-day needs, and pursue their financial goals with confidence. Currently, more than 6 million people across Kenya, the Philippines, Mexico, and India have used Tala products. Due to our global team, we have a remote-first approach, and also have offices in Santa Monica, CA (HQ); Nairobi, Kenya; Mexico City, Mexico; Manila, the Philippines; and Bangalore, India.
Most Talazens join us because they connect with our mission of enabling financial agency for underbanked people around the world. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Tala, we’d love to hear from you!
Reporting to the Director of Backend Engineering, this individual will play a central role in establishing a new Engineering Hub in Mexico City. This hub will perform full-stack (including mobile) software development alongside other hubs in India, Kenya and the US. To accomplish these capabilities, this individual will build from near scratch high performing Engineering teams and partner with Mexico City based Product and Program managers. The ability to attract, hire, retain and set the tone/culture of this hub are key requirements for this role.
What you'll do
- Bring together a full-stack team comprised of Backend, Android, and SDETs to continually deliver on market initiatives with quality
- Own initiatives across squads to successfully deliver customer impact
- Continually improve the relationship and integration with our third party partners
- Contribute to the Engineering roadmap and help set the vision for the group
- Mentor and grow Engineers
- Partner with the PMO to continually improve the SDLC and development processes
- Partner with Product Management to improve requirements gathering and Engineering’s understanding of what needs to be built
- 7+ years as an IC Engineer in one or more of the following: Java, Scala, PHP, Go, Python
- 3+ years directly leading a team
- Deep experience building complex, scalable backend systems
- Have implemented and are familiar with RESTful API implementation, SOA and microservices
- Knowledge of RDBMS and NoSQL databases (including best practices around design and modeling)
- Experience using open source technologies
- Experience utilizing AWS
- Excellent mentoring skills
- Ability to partner with non-technical business peers in meetings and working sessions
- Fluent in English and Spanish
Our vision is to build a new financial ecosystem where everyone can participate on equal footing and access the tools they need to be financially healthy. We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse global team that represents a multitude of backgrounds, cultures, and experience. We hire talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.