Senior Program Manager
Santa Monica, CA /
Program Management /
Tala is a global technology company building the world’s most accessible financial services. With more than $350 million raised from visionary investors, we are serving millions of customers around the world who have been overlooked by traditional financial institutions – and our plan is to serve millions more, and have been named by the Fortune Impact 20 list, CNBC’s Disruptor 50, and Forbes’ Fintech 50 list for four years running. We are expanding across product offerings, countries and crypto and are looking for people who have an entrepreneurial spirit and are passionate about the mission.
By creating a unique platform that enables lending and other financial services around the globe, people in emerging markets are able to start and expand small businesses, manage day-to-day needs, and pursue their financial goals with confidence. Currently, more than 6 million people across Kenya, the Philippines, Mexico, and India have used Tala products. Due to our global team, we have a remote-first approach, and also have offices in Santa Monica, CA (HQ); Nairobi, Kenya; Mexico City, Mexico; Manila, the Philippines; and Bangalore, India.
Most Talazens join us because they connect with our mission of enabling financial agency for underbanked people around the world. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Tala, we’d love to hear from you!
The Senior Program Manager will be responsible for supporting the delivery of products and initiatives using Agile practices. Successful candidates will have deep expertise in Agile methodologies and have a background in managing complex technical programs. This specific role will be the program lead for the continued build-out of our new platform, a complex and large-scale program that has been under development for the past few years. This role does include management of at least one direct report, which means that prior management experience is required.
What you'll do
- Supports the delivery of products and initiatives using Agile practices - balancing strategic and tactical needs. Must be comfortable rolling up sleeves to do whatever it takes to get the job done and drive the teams to be successful but also with a strategic lens. This may include serving as ScrumMaster for assigned teams
- Participate in quarterly planning and bi-weekly reviews for the squad he/she/they support as well as continuous reporting and unblocking
- Organize timelines and review meetings for broad consumption
- Support a culture of continuous learning through the establishment of consistent retros, post-mortems, and team health metrics
- Provide input into resource planning and allocation in coordination with the PMO lead
- The direct manager for this role is located in Santa Monica
What you'll need
- 7+ years of Program Management experience with proven expertise in Agile methodologies, concepts, practices, and standards
- 10+ years experience leveraging software development and team collaboration tools such as JIRA, Confluence, Smartsheet, etc
- Success at managing technical projects for distributed and remote teams across multiple locations and countries
- Experienced in managing mobile app development, full-stack software development projects in the CICD environment, integration with third-party APIs. Experience in managing other technical areas, such as BI, Data Engineering, IT is nice to have
- Practical experience working at startup pace with heavy virtual communications
- Flexibility to respond to changing requirements and juggle multiple responsibilities
- Must be comfortable working both as part of a team and independently - includes the ability to set priorities that accurately reflect the relative importance of job responsibilities and follow through on assignments with minimal direction
- Proven ability to coach and mentor others who are learning project management and Agile practices in a replicable, scalable way
- Checked ego, humble, empathetic, collaborative, a service-oriented attitude of “customer first”
- Global travel may be required, once it is safe to do so
- PMP, CSM certification nice to have
Our vision is to build a new financial ecosystem where everyone can participate on equal footing and access the tools they need to be financially healthy. We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse global team that represents a multitude of backgrounds, cultures, and experience. We hire talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.