External Affairs Director
Global Business /
Tala is a global technology company building the world’s most accessible financial services. With more than $350 million raised from visionary investors, we are serving millions of customers around the world who have been overlooked by traditional financial institutions – and our plan is to serve millions more, and have been named by the Fortune Impact 20 list, CNBC’s Disruptor 50, and Forbes’ Fintech 50 list for five years running. We are expanding across product offerings, countries and crypto and are looking for people who have an entrepreneurial spirit and are passionate about the mission.
By creating a unique platform that enables lending and other financial services around the globe, people in emerging markets are able to start and expand small businesses, manage day-to-day needs, and pursue their financial goals with confidence. Currently, more than 7 million people across Kenya, the Philippines, Mexico, and India have used Tala products. Due to our global team, we have a remote-first approach, and also have offices in Santa Monica, CA (HQ); Nairobi, Kenya; Mexico City, Mexico; Manila, the Philippines; and Bangalore, India.
Most Talazens join us because they connect with our mission of enabling financial agency for underbanked people around the world. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Tala, we’d love to hear from you!
Lead a cross-functional external affairs team in the design and implementation of action plans to enhance Tala’s engagement with policymakers, relevant stakeholders, and the organization’s ability to inform policy. The roles will lead the development and execution of opportunities that advance the business and mitigate threats in key policy areas, including through building alliances among external stakeholders.
What You'll Do
- Develop and implement external affairs strategic plans for informing key public policy issues, while enhancing corporate opportunities and mitigating threats.
- Assist in the development and execution of our General Manager’s outreach to policymakers, ensuring that external government relations are adequately managed. Identify and ensure current awareness of key external constituencies, including Governmental & Non-Governmental Organizations and key opinion leaders that may have a positive/negative impact on our business.
- Work closely with outside consultants responsible for helping develop the strategy and supporting the execution of the strategy.
- Partner with key constituents (internal/external) to determine the most appropriate direction for building relationships and avoiding adverse legislative or public policy action
- Manage multi-dimensional projects across business units/regions, successfully navigating throughout the organization to partner effectively with individuals from other departments and deliver results
What You'll Need
- 7+ years of proven success in engaging with the government and private sector entities related to Tala’s financial business (CNBV, CONDUSEF, Banco de México, Secretaría de Economía, amongst others).
- Strong communication and advocacy skills relevant to working with policymakers, private or public associations, and political officials.
- Significant business acumen and ability to collaborate across multiple internal organizations including business groups and sales teams, identifying relevant issues, needs, and strategies to shape the external policy environment.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is a must.
Our vision is to build a new financial ecosystem where everyone can participate on equal footing and access the tools they need to be financially healthy. We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse global team that represents a multitude of backgrounds, cultures, and experience. We hire talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.