Head of Accounting
Tala is a global technology company building the world’s most accessible financial services. With more than $350 million raised from visionary investors, we are serving millions of customers around the world who have been overlooked by traditional financial institutions – and our plan is to serve millions more, and have been named by the Fortune Impact 20 list, CNBC’s Disruptor 50, and Forbes’ Fintech 50 list for five years running. We are expanding across product offerings, countries and crypto and are looking for people who have an entrepreneurial spirit and are passionate about the mission.
By creating a unique platform that enables lending and other financial services around the globe, people in emerging markets are able to start and expand small businesses, manage day-to-day needs, and pursue their financial goals with confidence. Currently, more than 7 million people across Kenya, the Philippines, Mexico, and India have used Tala products. Due to our global team, we have a remote-first approach, and also have offices in Santa Monica, CA (HQ); Nairobi, Kenya; Mexico City, Mexico; Manila, the Philippines; and Bangalore, India.
Most Talazens join us because they connect with our mission of enabling financial agency for underbanked people around the world. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Tala, we’d love to hear from you!
The Accounting Director, MX, partnering closely with the VP Global Controller of Tala, will lead all aspects of the accounting and tax function of Tala in Mexico.
We are looking for a seasoned and dynamic professional with a solid understanding of all relevant areas of accounting, including technical accounting standards (US GAAP & IFRS), treasury operations, internal controls, financial audits, local tax compliance and other applicable statutory requirements, who is able to think strategically, identify key risks and opportunities, confidently drive the local accounting & tax roadmap, and lead and develop our team.
What You'll Do
- Monitor legislative & regulatory developments that may impact the company's tax positions and/or compliance requirements, ensuring compliance with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations in the country.
- Lead statutory accounting and monthly close process, annual audits, and major accounting operating processes (treasury, payroll)
- Actively participate in updating and maintaining relevant internal policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with our centralized global Accounting Optimization team in Kenya to build efficient and effective accounting processes.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual tax filings required by SAT.
- Perform tax health checks with external tax advisors and drive the remediation of potential exposures.
- Review contracts and support the organization to successfully implement all accounting infrastructure required for new partnerships.
What You'll Need
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field
- Demonstrated track record of leading successful teams
- Strong understanding of technical accounting matters and ability to assess accounting treatment in complex areas such us income tax, deferred revenue and expenses, fx accounting & hedging
- Solid knowledge of local tax rules and regulations and up-to-date with the latest updates and policy discussions by SAT in Mexico
Nice to have
- Ideally started a career with a Big 4 firm or has significant experience working with them.
Our vision is to build a new financial ecosystem where everyone can participate on equal footing and access the tools they need to be financially healthy. We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse global team that represents a multitude of backgrounds, cultures, and experience. We hire talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.