Senior Regulatory Counsel - US
Santa Monica, CA /
Tala was named one of the top 50 FinTech companies in the world. We are a financial technology company on a mission to make financial services simple, inclusive, and accessible for the doers and dreamers globally. We are building the digital bank for the next billion!
So far, more than 6 million people in emerging markets have borrowed through our Android app, which provides instant credit scoring, lending, education, and other personalized financial services. Headquartered in Santa Monica, we support the needs of our customers in Kenya, Mexico, Philippines, and India.
Tala operates within a complex global system of laws and regulation to provide our products to customers. The Legal team works cross-functionally and across multiple jurisdictions to create legal and regulatory strategies that facilitate the launch and growth of Tala products globally. This specialist role will partner with our Compliance team and to drive the development and implementation of secure processes across the business with a primary focus on privacy matters. You will also find yourself working closely with stakeholders from our Product, Operations and Business teams, as well as our compliance function. You should be comfortable supporting a complicated and regulated product that requires analysis on several fronts.
What you'll need
- 6+ years experience
- A law degree
- J.D. and bar admission with good standing in at least one U.S. jurisdiction (California or New York preferred)
- Experience working on international financial services or FinTech regulatory matters
- In house legal experience
- Experience working with the laws of Kenya, Mexico, India and/or the Philippines preferred
- Excellent writing and communication skills
What you'll do
- Provide practical, risk-weighted legal and regulatory driven advice on a wide range of legal matters related to Tala’s products and global activities
- Advise on privacy and data security matters impacting the business and Tala’s global privacy and data protection program
- Develop compliant global systems to support Tala’s financial offerings
- With other Legal team members, develop and update internal regulatory legal playbook(s)
- Participate in ideation sessions with legal peers and across the business to create amazing product experiences for Tala’s customers that comply with the law
- Partner with the broader international legal team to share information about the regulatory environment to facilitate efficient and transparent legal support across the business
Our vision is to build a new financial ecosystem where everyone can participate on equal footing and access the tools they need to be financially healthy. We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse global team that represents a multitude of backgrounds, cultures, and experience. We hire talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.