Platform Engineering Manager
San Francisco, CA
Tally helps people overcome credit card debt. Currently at Series B with $42MM in funding, Tally is the first automated debt manager for consumers. We help separate the burden of credit cards from the benefits, enabling people to use credit cards for their convenience and rewards without the stress of managing multiple payments or accruing unnecessary fees. Tally's vision is to automate consumers' whole financial lives, starting with America's $1 trillion credit card debt.
When faced with building things fast or right, our platform engineering team leans towards quality. We focus on collaborating not just with fellow team members but with the business overall to solve complex problems with simple, scalable solutions.
Our technology stack leverages Scala as our platform to build highly available and responsive services to make credit card automation look simple.
Core Technologies: Scala, Akka, Finagle/Thrift, Slick, Postgres, AWS (DynamoDB, Kinesis, S3, SQS), Elasticsearch
- Proactively work with engineering leadership, team members and product owners to come up with and own the shared technical strategy and their success goals
- Guide direct reports through their career development, establishing goals and objectives that are measurable and achievable
- Provide your team with the tools, opportunities and motivation to innovate and make decisions independently
- Offer perspective to the team by understanding and navigating typical tradeoffs between building products and a perfect technical solution; you are the guiding light to creative and practical solutions that will bring Tally’s vision into a reality
- Inspire passion about instilling good software engineering principles and practices into your team, this includes processes for planning, building and delivering solutions
- Communicate goals and expectations in a timely and effectively manner across engineering and product
In this role we value
- Experience managing teams of 3-5 smart, diverse and inquisitive engineers
- A strong track record as a software engineer; you’ve designed, built and deployed systems that are robust, valuing correctness before scale
- Experience building strategies for microservices adoption is a great plus
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
A message from our leadership:
"One of our core values at Tally is 'Change shoes often.' We do this with our peers and our customers every day, and we want candidates to share in our commitment to empathy. Empathy really is the foundation of inclusion, and Tally prides itself in being a company that prioritizes inclusion and diversity. We’re dedicated to creating a workplace culture where people are included and treated equitably."
Jason Brown, Cofounder and CEO