Freelance Translation Contractor - Korean to English
Tapas is the "YouTube for storytellers" — an open-publishing platform and home to a community of more than 58,000 creators. We’ve published over 89,000 stories to date. We specialize in publishing original stories in the form of serialized webcomics and novels. Tapas has 3.1 million monthly unique readers, who collectively spend more than 118 million minutes per month on Tapas. Stories on Tapas have been read over 6.7 billion times to date. About 70% of our audience is female millennials primarily located in the US, and the Tapas app is one of the top-grossing comics apps on iOS and Android.
We're seeking to contract a full-time Korean to English Translator who will localize Korean text into English on multiple projects, working cooperatively with members of the localization team.
What Freelance Translators Do:
- Translate Korean webcomics of various genres including but not limited to romance, fantasy, action fantasy, comedy, and drama.
- Create and update the name list of all characters and locations, as well as significant series-specific jargon
- Work cooperatively with the localization team, making edits as necessary
- Communicate with localization team about relevant progress or issues through designated channels
Freelance Translators Expertise
- High level of proficiency in Korean and English languages
- Cultural fluency in both the cultures of the creator as well as the audience
- Excellent communicator who maintains friendly and timely communications with a diverse array of individuals across a variety of timezones and differing project schedules
- Familiarity with Slack, google docs, and digital storage platforms like DropBox is a plus
- Experience working as a freelancer within a collaborative team-based environment
- Ability to manage time effectively and adhere to strict deadlines
- A love of storytelling and a respect for the storytellers' whole work we are helping to share.
Interested in joining our team? We’d love to hear from you. Aside from the normal application process, please share a quick paragraph on what aspects of your experience make you a perfect candidate for this job.
About Tapas Media
Tapas Media, Inc. is a next-generation media company offering bite-sized content through its online mobile platform, Tapas. Tapas Media properties, which consists of the popular Tapas mobile app and Tapas, boasts over 8 billion views to date from more than 8.6M registered users - primarily in North America. Tapas Media provides a best-in-class reading experience for fans of storytelling on mobile devices and on the web, featuring original series – under Studio Tapas, the division dedicated to producing and publishing original webcomics and novels – licensed webcomics, and a successful digital novels division.
Founded in March 2012, Tapas has gathered over 63,000 creators, 96,000 series, and more than 1.6M episodes. Tapas has multiple partnerships across various multimedia platforms including Scholastic, Zoic Studios, Vault Comics, BOOM!, Hachette Book Group, Ten Speed Press (Penguin Random House), Kakao Entertainment, Podium Audio, Frolic Media, Madison Wells, and more. Tapas is the 2020 Ringo Award winner for Favorite Publisher. Tapas received their first Eisner nominations in 2021 and recently made a name for itself in its half-billion-dollar acquisition by entertainment giant Kakao Entertainment.
For more information, please visit Tapas.
At Tapas Media, we’re committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. We believe that the enriched diverse perspectives of our employees, readers, and creators help deliver our unique content. We welcome prospective candidates from all backgrounds, race, ethnicity, gender, age, physical and mental ability, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, culture, language, and education.