Associate Editor, Comics
Culver City CA /
Studio Tapas /
Tapas Media is a next-generation media company offering bite-sized, episodic stories through its digital platform: Tapas. From community-created content to premium comics and novels, our goal is to provide a best-in-class reading experience on mobile devices and web while offering diverse stories from all genres and creators.
Tapas has 2 million monthly unique readers, who collectively spend more than 70 million minutes per month on Tapas. Stories on Tapas have been read over 5 billion times to date. About 70% of our audience is female millennials primarily located in the US, and our top creator demographics are evenly split amongst male and female creators. The Tapas app is one of the top-grossing comics apps on iOS and Android. Beyond being a premier open publishing platform, we also co-produce original IP with our top creators through Studio Tapas, a division dedicated to finding and creating original stories. We then work alongside creators and entertainment partners to adapt IP into the next hit TV series, movies, games, physical books, and more. Our goal is to help support independent creators by providing easy to use publishing tools, sustainable forms of revenue, and connecting them with readers from all over the world.
To help accomplish this goal, we are seeking to hire an Associate Editor, Comics who will take fully conceptualized comic projects and bring them through production, ensuring that all projects are prepared on-schedule for publication. Reporting to the Head of Production and Editorial, as an Associate Editor you will work closely with Studio Tapas Leads to maintain the highest quality content standards while helping creators tell their own stories.
What you'll do
- Edit and manage 10-15 or more projects as assigned throughout all phases of production
- Communicate directly and frequently with project teammates, creators, and Tapas
- Assist the production team by coordinating and executing individual project schedules while adhering to strict deadlines.
- Ensure the highest quality content standards following Tapas’ in-house style by providing feedback regarding the story, dialogue, and artwork of comic projects based on project series bibles and other development materials
- Organize and maintain project files using online storage platforms (Google Drive, DropBox, etc.)
- Prepare, upload, and schedule episodic content for publishing using Tapas’ CMS.
- Serve as a knowledge expert on assigned projects and assist in marketing endeavors upon request
- May be asked to develop stories and seek out creative talent to assist and staff projects
What we're looking for
- A deep understanding and enthusiasm for storytelling, new media, and the digital entertainment field with a passion for indie creators
- A sharp eye for illustration and sequential art, with the ability to clearly and effectively communicate artistic feedback.A self-starter with a growth mindset
- Organized and highly communicative with excellent time management skills, priority management, and strong leadership qualities
- Familiarity with webtoons and/or the digital comics medium
- Proficiency in: Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop), agile project management tools (Basecamp, Trello, etc.), and CMS tools
Education & Work Experience
- BA or higher in English, Creative Writing, Film, or related fields
- 1-3 years of experience in publishing, editorial, comics, storytelling media, content creation, production management, or entertainment as an editor or project manager in a similar capacity
- Flexible work schedule
- Unlimited PTO
- Lunch stipend (5 days per week)
- Full benefits package with Medical/Dental/Vision insurance and Commuter support
- Stock options
- Device and ergo/office supplies
- Team activities/training/books
- Gym/wellness support
- Company swag
- Compensation is to be negotiated - we pay competitively
Interested in joining our team? We’d love to hear from you. Please share your resume as well as a cover letter detailing what makes you the perfect fit for the job!