New York, NY /
Engineering – Data /
Teachable is seeking a Data Engineer or Senior Data Engineer to join the Data Team. We're a growing team of people who like to get a lot done with minimal overhead. We collaborate on roadmap, design, architecture, and are driven by a mission to empower creators to transform their knowledge into income.
Reporting to the Head of Data, this role will work on our event pipeline, ETL platform, database and data lake queries and optimization and will deploy containerized applications. The title will depend on experience; Senior Data Engineer requires a minimum of 5 years, preferably at least 8 years of hands-on experience working with relevant technologies.
Teachable’s Data Team is primarily a python shop. We use Apache Airflow for ETL, a rest endpoint and kafka for collecting events, and we deploy in kubernetes. The data warehouse is Amazon Redshift with federated postgres tables, and we have plenty of data in s3 in a variety of formats. This role has a major impact on the entire organization, as the senior engineer is the primary owner of key pieces of infrastructure and is expected to make recommendations about what technologies we should be employing in the data platform and what patterns we should be following in data engineering.
For Senior Data Engineer, we are looking for someone
- With 5+ years of professional hands-on experience with messaging-based event pipelines (kafka, kinesis, rabbitmq, etc) and with open-source ETL technologies (experience with Airflow is preferred)
- With advanced Python or Java skills (must have at least 1-2 years of experience with Python)
- With experience processing streaming events
- Who pays attention to developments in data technology and can articulate opinions about multiple competing technologies employed in data pipelines
- Who can fill the role of lead engineer on the team and be a positive resource and mentor for other engineers
For Data Engineer, we are looking for someone
- With 2-3+ years of hands-on experience writing python and SQL ETL jobs and working with open-source ETL technologies
- Experience with Airflow is a plus
- Experience with Docker or Kubernetes is a plus
- Experience with kafka or other pub/sub messaging queues is a plus
At either level, we are looking for someone
- Who cares about code quality and strives to balance efficiency with readability and to help teammates achieve the same
- Who upholds Teachable values, including working as part of a diverse team
What you will be doing
- Maintaining and improving event collection, queueing, and processing; if Senior Engineer, owning the event pipeline
- Assisting the the next phase of data lake development; if Senior Engineer, architecting and overseeing it
- Maintaining and improving the ETL platform
- Improving data warehouse performance by building out federated data sources
- Responding to issues and alerts as they arise
What you might work on
- Supporting customer-facing reporting
- Building an in-house link tracker or integrating with an attribution vendor
- Converting event processing from batch to stream
- Helping the engineering org transition from ruby sidekiq to kafka consumers for webhooks
Teachable is an instructor-focused platform that empowers creators to build and sell online courses and coaching on any topic-from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks. Instructors using our platform have collectively earned more than a billion dollars to date.
Since our founding, we've raised more than $12.5 million from top venture investors and were acquired in March of 2020. Teachable is now a part of the Hotmart group, an international startup, based in Brazil, with over 800 employees worldwide. Hotmart's mission is to help creators earn a living from their passion.
We're growing rapidly, with triple-digit year-over-year growth, and are continuing to build a diverse team of top-notch talent. We won't hold you back from reaching your full potential at Teachable; you'll have the freedom to be an integral member of our tight-knit team, with great benefits and perks. Your work here will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
We plan to be optionally remote until at least September 2021
Comprehensive Health, Dental, & Vision benefits with options covering up to 100% of monthly premium
Discretionary paid vacation & time off with a company average of 24 days a year
Parental leave, 16 weeks fully paid after three months of service
4% 401(k) with match after three months of service
Supplemental student loan repayment assistance or a professional education stipend
Tax-free commuter benefit
50% gym & wellness match
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer, meaning we're committed to a fair and consistent interview process. Please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.