In-House Counsel (6-month Contract role)
Legal & Compliance – Legal /
This remotely based contract position will commence October 1, 2021 through March 31, 2022.
At Teachable, we’re on a mission to empower creators everywhere to share what you know. Through our company platform, we help thousands of creators build courses and teach online. Our software makes it easy to create beautiful online courses, and provides creators an integrated solution to collect payments from their students. Sign up with Teachable, create amazing courses, share those courses with students from around the world, get rewarded financially. Simple, right?
However, behind the scenes the Legal and Compliance team diligently manages complex issues to make sure that our creators, students, employees, and shareholders are kept safe and sound. Cutting across the company horizontally, the Legal team pivots from privacy laws, to changing tax requirements, to copyright and trademark rights, to marketing and advertising requirements, to new product development considerations, to employment laws in the wake of our current reality, and more. In this role, it’s imperative that you can research and synthesize the legal requirements that we face and then pivot to implement policies, programs, or projects that ensure compliance with those laws.
- You’re not satisfied with the status quo
- You like variety and challenge yourself to know a lot about a lot of things
- You are decisive and take action but can collaborate to make things happen
- You’re motivated by mission and thrive in unstructured environments
- You’re here to make a difference (but you don’t mind the snacks and ping pong)
- You have some expertise in tax, copyright, trademark, privacy, risk management, payments, or compliance, and you want to learn about the things on that list that you don’t know
- You’re not comfortable with only partially solving the equation and good enough isn’t good enough for you
- You roll up your sleeves and get your stuff done
- You also know how to have fun and want to be part of a dynamic, diverse environment filled with smart, unique, passionate people
- Manages complex legal issues that arise on Teachable's SaaS platform, including keeping up to
- date with the changing regulatory landscape that impacts an internet business.
- Subject matters include employment, contracts, user and partnership agreements, marketing and
- advertising, information security, consumer protection, and product design consideration, with an
- emphasis on subscription billing requirements with a scope that includes state, federal, and
- international legal concerns.
- Handles employment matters, including termination agreements, discrimination, wage and hours
- matters, and provide support for HR processes and policies
- Oversees subpoena requests and responses from law enforcement and responds to threats of
- Drafts and negotiates a wide variety of commercial agreements and vendor contracts, including
- professional and technology services agreements, confidentiality agreements, statements of
- work, and master service agreements with vendors and partners.
- Partners with global parent company, Hotmart Company, on large-scale initiatives that affect the
- global market for both companies including labor and employment laws, tax, and system
- Partners with Teachable subsidiary, Spotlight, to create and improve an online marketplace for
- courses and creators.
- Provides advice to Head of Legal, international legal and business teams, and internal
- stakeholders. Manages complex legal issues that arise on Teachable's SaaS platform, including
- keeping up to date with the changing regulatory landscape that impacts an internet business.
- Manages outside counsel including cost control efforts and oversight of work product.
- Juris Doctor
- New York Bar membership or registration (or ability to register) as In-House Counsel in New York
- 2 - 5+ years legal experience in a law firm, in-house, or at a startup
- Experience in payments, financial services, tax, privacy, regulatory compliance, or copyright a plus
- Ability to roll up sleeves and get things done
- Proficiency with taking complex issues and reducing them consumable, actionable information (after all slack isn’t very conducive to long memos)
- Detail oriented
- Desire and comfortableness working in a startup environment
Teachable is an instructor-focused platform that empowers creators to build and sell online courses and coaching on any topic-from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks. Instructors using our platform have collectively earned more than a billion dollars to date.
Since our founding, we've raised more than $12.5 million from top venture investors and were acquired in March of 2020. Teachable is now part of Hotmart Company, a global tech group focused on the Creator Economy, with over 1,300 employees in 8 countries (Netherlands, USA, Brazil, Spain, Mexico, Colombia, France and UK). Hotmart´s mission is to help creators make a living from their passions, using digital products to entertain, help and instruct their audiences.
We're growing rapidly, with triple-digit year-over-year growth, and are continuing to build a diverse team of top-notch talent. We won't hold you back from reaching your full potential at Teachable; you'll have the freedom to be an integral member of our tight-knit team, with great benefits and perks. Your work here will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer, meaning we're committed to a fair and consistent interview process. Please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.