Back End Engineer
Evergreen, CO /
Design & Development /
Full Time - Remote
Join the fully-remote team at Teaching.com to create, develop, and deliver fun and engaging games for students and educators!
Who We Are & What We Do
We’re working to change the future of online education by building exciting products that equip students and teachers with the tools to succeed in the classroom and beyond. Our team is hungry to learn and improve—both when it comes to our products and ourselves. We’re a small, hard-working group of self-starters who are passionate about what we do and constantly seek new ways we can be better, together.
As a team member at Teaching.com, you’ll get to work on the #1 educational game in the world, Nitro Type, alongside designers working on our other popular products, like Typing.com, the world’s largest typing software. Everyone at Teaching.com is empowered to move quickly, make decisions, and get things done so we can continue to make learning accessible to our growing community of more than 40 million students and teachers internationally.
Who You Are & What You’ll Do
We are looking for a curious and passionate back-end engineer with a drive towards building products that people are fanatical about to work full-time on Nitro Type and Typing.com. You’re less concerned with patting yourself on the back for well-written code and more concerned with quickly and efficiently delivering value to our users, while of course balancing the cost of technical debt. The ideal candidate has experience working with products at scale and the nitty-gritty details of performance optimization.
Skills & Background
- Exceptional communication skills, particularly written (as a remote company, we value clear and concise communication across all departments)
- 6+ years with PHP, MySQL
- Production experience with Node.js
- Ability to optimize applications for speed and scalability
- Highly skilled in security and data protection
- Able to meet deadlines in a fast-paced quickly changing environment
- Approaches problem-solving proactively with strong decision-making skills
- Positive attitude and entrepreneurial spirit
- Experience with Laravel, MongoDB, Redis or Unix CLI
Compensation, Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary
- Unlimited paid time off
- Company-owned laptop
- Flexible office hours
- Ongoing education assistance
- Annual company retreat
Sorry, we will not transfer or sponsor visas.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We care deeply about the culture at Teaching.com and have put together a manifesto outlining our values, communication, and product management strategies. Prospective employees will learn a great deal about what it's like to work here by reviewing it.