Senior+ Software Engineer
Remote - USA /
COVID Update - We are actively hiring for this position and are operating as a fully distributed organization across the United States. We anticipate a future where some Eveners will be in an office again, but many will continue to be remote for their entire tenure. We are building an organization that puts the health and wellbeing of our employees (and their families) first.
More than half of American workers live paycheck-to-paycheck. Stuck in this cycle, they collectively lose over $120 billion each year on payday loans, bank overdrafts, and fees. We’re trying to fix that by building new financial services that make it easier to plan ahead, pay down debt, and save. And we’re doing it as a transparent, straightforward business that only profits when our members do. Learn more
Senior Software Engineers at Even lead by example because their actions significantly shape our culture, and that’s important to them. They write, review, and ship code, and guide and mentor other engineers on the team to aid in their growth. Senior Software Engineers are given significant autonomy & ownership, via “context, not control”. We value their quality and expertise in our craft, desire to lead and be helpful to others. Senior Software Engineers at Even are highly technical, communicative and emotionally intelligent.
Tools We Use
You absolutely do not need experience with all of these, but we thought you might be curious. Tools can be learned, so we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language/tool/technology.
• Server: Go, PostgreSQL, Redis, AWS (S3, SQS, etc.)
• Infra: Bazel, Docker, Redshift
What You’ll Do
- Lead and contribute to projects. You will lead projects from start to finish and understand the impact (both process and business) of your technical decisions. You love to code and don’t want to be out of the weeds.
- Bring technical experience. You have meaningful experience building, shipping — and growing — non-trivial products & services and can guide through learned experiences.
- Share technical expertise. You love to mentor other engineers and help them understand complex technical problems and concepts. Keeping knowledge to yourself isn’t fun for you, you love watching others learn and grow.
- Build and maintain documentation. As a growing and remote organization, having the necessary docs are key to our success.
- Solve complex problems that arise from our unique domain. We deal with real-world money movement, sensitive financial data at scale, and are creating novel financial mechanics with no real precedent. We also operate in a large codebase (currently, >500k LOC).
What You’ll Need
- Expertise in some part of the stack, and a broad understanding of the rest.
- Passion for your craft, people and our mission. You value quality across code, communication, and culture.
- Understanding of how to operate in the unknown. Even is a growing company that doesn’t have it all figured out just yet. You’ll be successful here if you thrive in environments where the directions aren’t laid out for you.
- A desire to keep growing your skills, and an ability to learn quickly; you never stop learning. We hire for slope, not just y-intercept.
Benefits from Even
- Competitive compensation, equity, and healthcare packages.
- 401(k) with 50% match from Even on up to 6% of your salary.
- A $5,000 annual educational stipend to invest in your learning and development.
- A $500 annual stipend to use towards personal financial advice.
- A $100 monthly stipend for health and wellness expenses.
- A $50 weekly stipend for meals and groceries while our office remains closed due to COVID.
- A 5-year exercise window on stock options after 2 years at Even.
- A flexible vacation policy and a team that understands building a company is a marathon, not a sprint.
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave.
Want to learn more about how we interview engineers? Check out this blog post written by Aseem Kishore, one of our engineering leaders.
Even is used by people of all backgrounds, and we believe the best products are built by teams that represent their users. We value unique contributions and actively welcome people of all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to join us at Even.