Associate General Counsel, Transactions & Corporate
Remote - USA /
COVID Update - We are actively hiring for this position and are operating as a fully distributed organization across the United States. We anticipate a future where some team members will be in an office again, but many other team members will continue to be remote for their entire tenure. We are building an organization that puts the health and wellbeing of our employees (and their families) first.
More than half of American workers live paycheck-to-paycheck. Stuck in this cycle, they collectively lose over $120 billion each year on payday loans, bank overdrafts, and fees. We’re trying to fix that by building new financial services that make it easier to plan ahead, pay down debt, and save. And we’re doing it as a transparent, straightforward business that only profits when our members do.
Your role is to partner with stakeholders across the business including the sales, marketing, finance, operations, human resources, and leadership teams to support, guide, and accelerate our go-to-market motion, financings, partnerships, and governance. You will be an integrated member of cross-functional teams providing advice daily across contractual, transactional, corporate, strategic, and business matters. You will create systems that allow Even to grow and scale. You will drive internal alignment and be an external advocate for Even.
What you will do
- Accelerate go-to-market activities by supporting the sales team from discovery to signing and through to customer implementation and ultimately customer success
- Partner with executive leadership to plan, strategize, negotiate, and execute debt and equity financing transactions
- Evaluate, negotiate, execute, and implement agreements with partners to accelerate growth for sales, marketing, and product development
- Build and maintain a contract management program in partnership with Finance and Operations
- Manage contracting needs across the business and support operationalizing contract obligations
- Support administration of corporate governance, including partnering with People Operations to support equity administration, and investor relations
- Provide counsel across the business as a trusted business partner as well as a legal subject matter expert
What you will need
- 7+ years of applicable legal experience, ideally a combination of law firm and in-house, preferably in a high-growth business focused on financial services, employee benefits and/or enterprise technology
- Exceptional negotiation skills with the ability to drive internal alignment as well as to be innovative to reach mutually agreeable outcomes with third parties
- Exceptional business judgement that accounts for business practicalities as well as risk mitigation
- Experience and comfort working on projects outside of one’s areas of expertise with the ability to learn quickly
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to adapt to various internal and external audiences
- Detail-oriented project management skills with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple competing projects to effective resolution
- Ability to be highly organized and efficient to build scalable solutions that grow with the business.
- Ability to work with teams of multiple stakeholders as well as independently with limited guidance as a natural self starter
- A J.D. or equivalent with at least one state bar membership
Signs you are a great fit
- You enjoy navigating complex challenges while collaborating with innovative partners.
- You are comfortable negotiating ambiguity and competing priorities in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- You are highly responsive and service oriented with one eye on the issue at hand and another on the big picture.
- You thrive in a passionate, mission-driven culture.
- You hold yourself and those around you to high standards.
- You are pragmatic and carefully weigh tradeoffs on a case-by-case basis to achieve the most value for our members, customers, and team.
- You understand that the road to building a great company, team, and product is paved with candid, but respectful, feedback.
- You care more about finding the truth than being right.
- You bring a positive attitude and optimism to the team.
- You care deeply and also don’t take yourself too seriously.
Benefits from Even
- Competitive compensation, equity, and healthcare packages.
- 401(k) with 50% match from Even on up to 6% of your salary.
- A $5,000 annual educational stipend to invest in your learning and development.
- A $500 annual stipend to use towards personal financial advice.
- A $100 monthly stipend for health and wellness expenses.
- A $50 weekly stipend for meals and groceries while our office remains closed due to COVID.
- A 5-year exercise window on stock options after 2 years at Even.
- A flexible vacation policy and a team that understands building a company is a marathon, not a sprint.
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave.
Want to learn more about what we look for in a team mate? Check out this blog post written by our cofounder, Quinten Farmer.
Even is used by people of all backgrounds, and we believe the best products are built by teams that represent their users. We value unique contributions and actively welcome people of all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to join us at Even. We are committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodation to applicants with mental and/or physical disabilities. If you think you may require an accommodation for any part of the recruitment process, please send a request to: firstname.lastname@example.org. All requests for accommodations are treated discreetly and confidentially, as practical and permitted by law.