Communications and Stakeholder Affairs Director
London, United Kingdom
Communications – Communications
We are looking for an ambitious and driven Communications and Stakeholder Affairs Director. You will play a key role in the development of the Senior Management team, whilst reporting into the CEO, shaping the growing department and delivering top level comms.
We are Tech Nation, the UK Network for ambitious tech entrepreneurs. Our mission is to empower ambitious tech entrepreneurs to grow faster through knowledge and connections. We want to make the UK the best place to imagine, start and grow a digital business to build an economy fit for the next generation. As a high growth startup ourselves, we are a neutral player sitting right at the heart of the ecosystem of high growth digital businesses, policy-makers and corporations offering the following key programmes:
We empower tech founders to grow faster through our various growth programmes such as Founders’ Network, Future Fifty, and Fintech. But not only that, we also offer end-to-end data, insights, stories & resources, a UK wide community that shares the same entrepreneurial culture, and we are the only approved organisation for the Tech Nation Visa scheme rolled out for exceptional talent.
Focus of the role:
- At the core, both internally and externally, the role will communicate creatively and shape the public’s perception of Tech Nation and help author UK tech story, regionally, nationally and internationally.
- Proactively and convincingly articulate, to both external and internal audiences, how Tech Nation brings its mission to life, to the benefit of its stakeholders as well as the culture and economy of the nation, its regions and beyond.
- Build and deliver an external and internal communication plan which sets out the messaging and narrative for the company clearly, succinctly and effectively
- Lead a team of two and an external PR agency to help the company drive results against its plan and KPIs, including Average Value Equivalent, NPS scores and page views generated
- Build new strategic and operational relationships with grant funding organisations who believe in our mission and vision, so we can win bids to deliver more impact
- Plan, write and submit bids with the support of the exec team for new funding to deliver additional impactful services that help build & reinforce entrepreneurial communities
- Put together a coherent and targeted strategic comms and policy-influencing agenda, as well as ensure Tech Nation’s communication is politically sensitive, nuanced and targeted both to government and tech entrepreneurs.
- Work closely with the CEO and ensure emails, briefs and follow-ups are completed in a timely manner.
- Deputising for the CEO as required in public arenas and representing Tech Nation in the media and public forum
- Work collaboratively across the team, particularly with executive team and with external partners and stakeholders.
- Use accepted company’s practices to track your progress.
- Manage expectations at each step with all involved, from internal team members to external stakeholders.
- Be KPI and OKR driven in your way of working
The skills and experience you’ll likely have are:
- Experience in technology policy or similar
- Significant experience in developing and executing high-profile communications initiatives that can enhance the reputation of the company.
- Proven track record of working across a number of diverse issues and have a strong interest in the motivations of political stakeholders and seek to effective engagement to bring about change.
- Highly diplomatic individual with a passion for the impact of technology on the UK
- Have successfully worked with remote teams
- Ideally have experience working with UK national government
- Strong analytical and verbal skills; quick thinker and clear communicator.
- Ability to quickly assess a room and think through how best to position the company
- Demonstrate superior judgment based on skills, intuition and experience.
- Have a record of establishing credibility with senior stakeholders
- Execution focused and have a proven record of success in complex environments.
- Results-driven, high-performing, high-quality work attitude
- You must demonstrate the maturity to work independently on a day-to-day basis and have the wisdom to know when to collaborate, delegate and/or escalate.
Whats in it for you?
- An opportunity to work with the fastest growing tech startups in the UK
- 16 health benefits via Untangl
- Autonomous and flexible work style - be your own leader
- Quarterly team building events
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- 25 days’ holiday a year (plus UK public holidays)
- A collaborative and fast-paced environment
- A vibrant and diverse team based in central London and Manchester