Head of Government Relations (Mat Cover)
London, United Kingdom
Comms & Stakeholder – Comms & Stakeholder
Who we are
We are Tech Nation, the UK Network for ambitious tech entrepreneurs. Our mission is to empower ambitious tech entrepreneurs to grow faster through knowledge and connections. We want to make the UK the best place to imagine, start and grow a digital business to build an economy fit for the next generation. As a high growth startup ourselves, we are a neutral player sitting right at the heart of the ecosystem of high growth digital businesses, policy-makers and corporations.
We are a small but fast-growing, high-performance team with high standards and big ambitions. We strive for excellence in everything we do. Our aim is to be transformative and collaborative in our work. We focus on speed, scale, smart resourcefulness and unbounded optimism. We never start with ‘no.’ We’re solution-oriented and focus on the outcome and the impact of any project or priority. We’re a curious bunch, creative and a little quirky. We debate things passionately in team meetings and stand-ups. We agree and disagree on how the world should work, but we all agree on making a big difference through our work at Tech Nation. Which is why we love it here and never take it for granted.
Our values are: originality, meaningful collaboration and real impact
Our team is based across our two Tech Nation offices in London and Manchester, and in 12 co-working spaces across the UK.
We are looking for an ambitious and driven Head of Government Relations to take the lead on the department and work closely with the Executive team for a short term maternity cover contract. You will play a key role in maintaining the smooth running of the department and all communications, as well as owning Tech Nations Government relations.
As well as sharing our ambitions and values, you will
- You will get to know the inner-workings of government and gain a deep understanding of the start up and scale up tech community in the UK; how to bridge the two worlds and to ensure a strong line of communication is developed
- You will be diplomatic and have the ability to multitask and be comfortable in a range of different environments from Whitehall to Old Street and everything in-between
- You'll need to be a strong and agile communicator and have an interest in tech policy and how to bring intricate political issues and legislation alive to tech entrepreneurs as well as be able to directly engage stakeholders at the most senior levels across government and the public and private sectors
A Day in the Life of a Head of Government Relations at Tech Nation might look something like this:
- Identify the key policy priorities and levers for Tech Nation’s business strategy and develop government affairs, advocacy and public policy agenda in full alignment with the organisation’s short and long-term business goals
- Produce and deliver a (high level) government affairs strategy, setting out key influencers and modes of engagement with each
- Continue to nurture relationship with core DCMS sponsor team, and manage the flow of information between Tech Nation and the key government stakeholders inc HMT, BEIS, DIT amongst others
- Host a series of policy roundtables on a range of topics to be determined by community / government needs
- Put together a coherent and targeted strategic comms and policy-influencing agenda, as well as ensure Tech Nation’s communication is politically sensitive, nuanced and targeted both to government and tech entrepreneurs
- Supporting the Head of Comms and marketing team on strategic communication activities and working across programmes to ensure the organisation is putting out the appropriate messaging
- Identify any potential areas of collaboration and risk with national and local government and where relevant work with the right team within the organisation to deliver projects or mitigate risksWork closely with the CEO and ensure emails, briefs and follow-ups are completed in a timely manner
- Deputising for the CEO as required in public arenas and representing Tech Nation in the media and public fora
What’s in it for you?
- Untangl, which include access to a cash plan that covers health, protection and well being
- Perkbox - choose your own perks!
- A shiny new macbook
- A 4% employer pension contribution
- A flexible work environment
- Cycle to work scheme (up to £1,000)
- Season ticket loan (up to £5,000)
- Quarterly team away days
Where to from here?
We welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences. Our team includes women, men, mothers, fathers, the self-taught, the university-educated, and people of a wide variety of nationalities, ages, and socio-economic backgrounds. Obviously we’re looking to ensure it’s a solid fit from both sides: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you’re proud to come to every day.
Want to know more about day-to-day working life at Tech Nation? Read more about the team you could be part of here
Now that you’re done reading, apply!
We know that diverse teams are strong teams, and welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences to apply to life at Tech Nation. We are committed to a fair and accessible recruitment process for all candidates. We would be happy to meet any accommodation requests during the application or interview process, please just let us know.