London, United Kingdom
Operations – Finance & Legal
Who we are
We are Tech Nation, the UK Network for ambitious tech entrepreneurs. Our mission is to empower ambitious tech entrepreneurs to grow faster through knowledge and connections. We want to make the UK the best place to imagine, start and grow a digital business to build an economy fit for the next generation. As a high growth startup ourselves, we are a neutral player sitting right at the heart of the ecosystem of high growth digital businesses, policy-makers and corporations.
We empower tech founders to grow faster through our various growth programmes such as Founders’ Network, Upscale, Future Fifty, and Fintech. But not only that, we also offer end-to-end data, insights, stories & resources, a UK wide community that shares the same entrepreneurial culture, and we are the only approved organisation for the Tech Nation Visa scheme rolled out for exceptional talent.
We are a small but fast growing, high performance team with high standards and big ambitions. We strive for excellence in everything we do. Our aim is to be transformative and collaborative in our work. We focus on speed, scale, smart resourcefulness and unbounded optimism. We never start with ‘no.’ We’re solution oriented and focus on the outcome and the impact of any project or priority. We’re a curious bunch, creative and a little quirky. We debate things passionately in team meetings and stand-ups. We agree and disagree on how the world should work, but we all agree on making a big difference through our work at Tech Nation. Which is why we love it here and never take it for granted.
Our values are: originality, meaningful collaboration and real impact
As a Financial Controller, you will have responsibility for a broad range of deliverables. Working with the Finance & Legal team supporting the Head of Finance in a newly created role based in London with occasional travel to our Manchester office. This will include managing month end, producing budgets and quarterly forecasts as well as managing the statutory accounts and the annual audit.
The challenge of the role will be in evolving systems and process to ensure that we are set up for success as we scale as an organisation. It will be pivotal to the development of the finance team and the need to ensure that we have the right capability in house. The role will also be very integrated with the business, supporting teams with forecasting and business cases.
A Day in the Life of a Tech Nation Financial Controller might look something like this:
- Management Accounts - Manage the production of the monthly management accounts in a timely and accurate manner
- Business partnering - with a range of internal stakeholders with specific focus on the Commercial team
- Commercial analysis - reviewing sales proposals, understanding product profitability and ensuring revenue recognition is correctly accounted for
- Audit - responsible for coordinating the annual audit and production of the Statutory Accounts
- Budgeting & forecasting - Managing the production of the annual budget and quarterly forecast
- Stakeholder Reporting - Consolidating and assisting in the production of the monthly financial reporting packs
- Other reporting - Managing the monthly cash flow forecast, balance sheet review and grant claims
- Financial Control – enforcing, developing and implementing financial policies to control the business. Performing cost reviews, devising and implementing change to control cost within the business
- Planning – Management of the annual financial planning cycle and monthly timetable
- Taxation compliance – responsible for ensuring that VAT and Corporation Tax submissions are correct
- Systems development – review, devise and implement changes to the accounting systems (in conjunction with the IT function and software suppliers) to ensure that processes are continually improved to keep pace with the business
- Processes - continual improvement of processes, reviewing all tasks performed by the team and updating processes where required
- Line Management - managing one member of staff
As well as sharing our ambitions and values, you will
- Possess at least 2 years post qualification experience
- Experience of all aspects of financial management in a small/medium-sized company
- Strong technical and accounting knowledge and demonstrable experience of financial control through balance sheet reconciliations, P&L review, cash flow analysis and maintenance of financial processes
- Strong IT skills and knowledge of the operation of accounting systems
- Able to work under pressure, accurate with a keen attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills Managing staff
What's in it for you?
- Untangl, which include access to a cash plan that covers health, protection and well being.
- Perkbox - choose your own perks!
- A shiny new macbook
- A 4% employer pension contribution
- A flexible work environment
- Cycle to work scheme (up to £1,000)
- Season ticket loan (up to £5,000)
- Quarterly team away days
Where to from here?
We welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences. Our team includes women, men, mothers, fathers, the self-taught, the university-educated, and people of a wide variety of nationalities, ages, and socio-economic backgrounds.
Obviously, we’re looking to ensure it’s a solid fit from both sides: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you’re proud to come to every day.
Want to know more about day-to-day working life at Tech Nation? Read more about the team you could be part of here
Now that you’re done reading, apply!
We know that diverse teams are strong teams, and welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences to apply to life at Tech Nation. We are committed to a fair and accessible recruitment process for all candidates. We would be happy to meet any accommodation requests during the application or interview process, please just let us know.