Remote - Europe
Roles we're searching for now: – Software Engineering /
Type - Permanent
ZOE is Redefining How People Approach Their Health
ZOE is combining scientific research at a scale never before imagined and cutting-edge AI to improve the health of millions.
Created by the world’s top scientists, our personalised nutrition program is reimagining a fundamental human need – eating well for your own body. Currently available in the US and the UK, ZOE is already helping > 100k ZOE members to adopt healthier habits and live better. Our work and expertise in biology, engineering, data science, and nutrition science have led to multiple breakthrough papers in leading scientific journals such as Nature Medicine, Science, The Lancet, and more.
To learn more, head to Spotify, Apple Podcasts, orAudible to listen to their Science & Nutrition Podcast (with 3 million listens!)
A remote-first, high-growth startup, they are backed by founders, investors, and entrepreneurs who have built multi-billion dollar technology companies. They are always looking for innovative thinkers and builders to join their team on a thrilling mission to tackle epic health problems. To improve human health and touch millions of lives.
They value inclusivity, transparency, ownership, open-mindedness and diversity. They are passionate about delivering great results and learning in the open. They want their teams to have the freedom to make long-term, high-impact decisions, and the well-being of their teammates and the people around them is a top priority.
Check out what life is like for their tech team on ZOE Tech.
About ZOE Tech
ZOE's Technology teams are working on unique product challenges: building delightful user experiences, analysing data for millions of users, predicting food responses, integrating with labs, automating our logistics, or acquiring customers at scale.
They strive to make use of best practices, and believe in always choosing the right tool for the job. They move fast, gathering feedback from our (at least) daily deployments. They collaborate and learn together, building strong working relationships that help us to build a product to fulfil their mission to improve the health of millions. Find out more about our group on zoe.tech
About the role
They are looking for technically minded people leaders who prioritise building a culture that enables their team to sustainably deliver at pace. You will partner with fellow engineers, product managers, data scientists, product designers and UX researchers to deliver meaningful customer impact and make ZOE a great place to work.
- Leading a team of 3-6 engineers, focusing on outcome over output
- Spending 40%-60% of your time deep in the code, leading by example on code and testing best practices. You are not afraid to dive into very technical conversations.
- Challenging the team on scope or sequencing to deliver faster, while still decreasing technical debt.
- Coaching, mentoring and developing high-performing engineers.
- Ensuring high psychological safety, where collaboration and equal voice are cornerstones of the team culture.
- Partnering with other engineering managers on cross-cutting initiatives like hiring or onboarding.
- Building good relationships with your stakeholders to establish a roadmap that delivers value to our members.
- Releasing small changes regularly to get fast feedback from our users
- Optimising application performance and ensuring smooth user experience across different platforms and devices.
- Providing constructive feedback through code reviews and regular 1:1s
- Staying updated with the latest trends and advancements to proactively bring new ideas and approaches to the team.
- Thinking longer term when solving challenges to ensure we build scalable, maintainable, observable systems that will continue to meet our needs as we grow.
We think you'll be great if
- Are experienced in leading a distributed full-stack team, in a fast pace environment.
- Are someone who takes ownership and is comfortable with ambiguity. You provide clarity and make things happen.
- Have the ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams and communicate technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- A servant leader who leads by example, finding opportunities for others to grow and shine.
- Someone who enjoys stepping back and seeing problems from a different perspective in order to find innovative solutions. Have great communication skills, both verbal and in writing.
- Have an appetite to work closely with our product team to test and release new ideas fast. Have experience with paired programming.
- Are data-driven. You challenge teams to measure impact and demonstrate added value. Have strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Pay close attention to detail and a commitment to delivering high-quality code.
If you also have the following, then fantastic!
- An incredible growth mindset. You read books, watch talks, listen to podcasts and are never afraid to try new things.
- Experience building mobile apps.
- Experience with scalability (backend, data pipelines).
- Experience working with Support teams, and understanding best practices for handling Support at scale. Experience working with payments and finance.
- Experience with state management libraries (e.g., Redux, MobX) and UI component libraries (e.g., Material-UI, Ant Design).
- Experience deploying machine learning in production.
- Intro to ZOE with a Talent Partner (30 mins).
- Intro with their VP of Engineering or Senior Engineering Manager (30mins).
- Technical Interview & Systems Design (90 mins). As part of this stage, we will ask you to teach us something technical asynchronously (text or video) to assess your ability to go in-depth and communicate.
- Behavioural interviews with a Senior Engineering manager (60mins) and VP of Engineering (60 mins).
- Meet a senior stakeholder outside of Technology (30mins) and meet a founder (30mins).