Platform Engineering Manager role at ZOE!
Remote - Europe /
Techruiter Clients (PRIVATE) – ZOE /
ZOE is combining scientific research at a scale never before imagined and cutting-edge AI to improve the health of millions.
Created by the world’s top scientists, their personalised nutrition program is radically reimagining a fundamental human need – eating well for your own body. Currently available in the US, and with a waitlist of more than 250,000 in the UK, ZOE is already helping tens of thousands of ZOE members adopt healthier habits and achieve their goals.
They are also the team behind the popular COVID Symptom Study, which played a critical role in the fight against COVID in the UK and has now expanded to become the ZOE Health Study (ZHS). ZHS uses the power of community science to conduct large-scale research from the comfort of contributors’ homes to understand health and prevent disease. Their collective work and expertise in biology, engineering, data science, and nutrition science has led to multiple breakthrough papers in leading scientific journals such as Nature Medicine, Science, The Lancet, and more.
A remote-first, well-funded startup, they are backed by founders, investors, and entrepreneurs who have built multi-billion dollar technology companies. They are always looking for innovative thinkers and doers to join their team on a thrilling mission to tackle epic health problems that span the globe. Together, you can improve human health and touch millions of lives.
ZOE value inclusivity, transparency, ownership, open-mindedness and diversity. They are passionate about delivering great results and learning in the open. They want their teams to have the freedom to make long-term, high-impact decisions, and they prioritise the well-being of all team members
Check out what life is like for their Engineers at the ZOE Engineering page
About the team
- The platform team consists of 4 individual contributors building platforms and libraries to accelerate delivery in the engineering organisation.
- Making it easy to spin up new services and get all the fundamentals in place in minutes (CI/CD, Authz, Security, Observability, GDPR, …).
- Building and maintaining core infrastructure components (GKE, Airflow, …)
- Building and maintaining the data platform (BigQuery, DBT, Holistics, …)
- Providing ad-hoc assistance and expertise on development best practices and architecture (EDA, DDD, TDD, …)
The team is passionate about…
About the role
- You will evolve the platform as a product. Your mission is to enable teams to fall into the pit of success. You will be successful if your team can make a material impact on the DORA/SPACE metrics for the whole engineering organisation.
- You’ll report directly to the VP of Engineering and are expected to spend 50% of your time hands-on. You are a natural team player who knows how to convince and influence other teams without using authority.
You will be...
- Leading a small team of engineers and delivering high-impact projects at fast pace
- Co-building and implementing a roadmap to accelerate engineering teams
- Pushing for the adoption of new practices across the engineering organization
- Coaching, mentoring and developing high-performing engineers.
- Ensuring the quality, availability and security of the underlying platform
- Contributing to the evolution of our architecture, tools and processes
- Contributing code. ZOE's stack: GCP, GKE, GitHub Actions, ArgoCD, GitOps, Airflow/Cloud Composer, Terraform, Python, Kotlin, FastApi, Spring Boot, PostgresSQL, BigQuery, DBT, Prometheus, Grafana
You'll be a great fit if you...
- Are a polyglot engineer who is intellectually curious and who has significant experience improving the developer experience, in the cloud. You can still write code.
- Have proven experience with microservices, containers, Kubernetes and devops. You have worked in an environment that practices continuous delivery at scale
- Enjoy leading or mentoring teams, you collaborate to coach others in technical topics such as design and integration patterns, domain modelling or engineering excellence.
- Are experienced managing direct reports.
- Are a great communicator that can inspire others to follow their technical leadership
- Have experience working in a high pace environment. You lead by example, gets your hands dirty and get things done
ZOE would also appreciate
- An incredible growth mindset. You read books, watch talks, listen to podcasts and are never afraid to try new things.
- Experience in DevSecOps
- Experience in data pipelines and data warehousing
- Experience with the Python ecosystem (FastApi, Django, Poetry, type hinting, …)
- Experience with the JVM ecosystem (Kotlin, Spring Boot, …)
- Experience with event-driven architecture and domain-driven design
What ZOE can offer you
- Stock options for all employees, be rewarded long-term, for your contribution to ZOE's growth
- Remote first - Work from home, their London office, or within the EU. Get yourself set up comfortably at home with a WFH equipment budget
- 28 days annual leave - 25 days as standard, 2 company reset days to reset and recharge, and 1 Life Event day per year to use on the day that means most to you
- Pension plan - ZOE will contribute to your pension plan, and you can top up what you like
- Enhanced parental leave scheme
- Private healthcare and life assurance packages
- Health and wellbeing packages- including Employee Assistance Program and Cycle to work schemes
- Allocated monthly social budget