Graduate Research Fellow
Tech Talent Staff – Tech Talent Jobs /
The Graduate Research Fellow will support Tech Talent Project efforts to expand its critical work in support of state governments. The Graduate Research Fellow will work closely with the VP of Partnerships to conduct qualitative and quantitative research to assess where states are on their path to digital maturity, educate executive leaders about how their states are doing and why they’re failing, and provide a series of playbooks that allow states to take action. The results of this research will be published in 2022.
The Research Fellow reports to the VP of Partnerships and is a critical partner in achieving the organization’s mission.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Conduct and record interviews with industry experts and government leaders, in accordance with predetermined interview protocol, data collection procedures, and documentation standards.
- Collect, review, and edit data to ensure completeness and accuracy of information, follow up with individuals to resolve problems, or clarify data.
- Gather additional research and synthesize data and information into concise, clear summaries.
- Analyze information to identify gaps in research and make recommendations to address issues.
- Draft findings as part of the larger publication.
- Provide logistical support for convenings related to research topics and data gathering, including but not limited to, creating agendas, building invite lists, and managing communications.
- Manage the project by tracking deadlines, completing tasks, and communicating needs across the full project team.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Graduate-level student or above.
- Experience conducting qualitative and quantitative research.
- Strong dedication to Tech Talent’s mission to serve the country and a desire to share that mission with others.
- Willingness to be scrappy and do whatever work is necessary to complete the project.
Valued and Non-Essential Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Understanding of the tech industry and/or government.
- Attention to detail
- Critical thinking
- Discretion and political savvy
- Exceptional communicator
- Well organized, detail-oriented
- Sense of humor
Applications for the Graduate Research Fellow are currently open. The deadline to apply is August 1, however, applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a candidate is selected. Applications must include a resume, cover letter, and a brief previous writing sample.
NVF Project Name: Tech Talent Project
Position: Graduate Research Fellow
Ideal Start Date: Late August/Early September
Status: Non-Exempt, part-time (20-29 hours per week)
Length: 4-6 months
The Tech Talent Project is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.