Associate - Security
Remote - United States
Project Delivery – 321st Shields /
TEECOM | We Make Technology Work in Buildings
Do you want to launch or advance a career at the intersection of technology and the built environment? Do you want to work with exceptional engineers to creatively solve complex problems? Do you want to work with clients to take their building experiences to the next level of connectivity, safety, and wow-factor? Do you want to join a company that defines the state of the art in its practice, with visionary leadership and in-house research and development?
TEECOM is a $40+ million/year consulting engineering firm with an average annual growth rate of 20% over the past 20 years. We make technology work in buildings through strategic consulting, design and engineering, project management, and enterprise support. We work hard in a fast-paced professional environment that will challenge you to learn and grow, and we play hard through team lunches and events that give back to the community. TEECOM is one of the fastest growing companies in the San Francisco Bay Area, with additional teams in New York City, the United Kingdom, the Pacific Northwest, Southern California, and Texas. Join us and make TEECOM even better.
About the Position
As an mid-level engineering role, the Associate works with their mentor to begin designing small to mid-size projects in the Telecom discipline. Their mentor will guide them, answer questions, and provide the feedback needed to make them successful in this role. This individual will work with clients, product manufacturers, contractors, other design team members, and other employees of TEECOM to take each project from start to finish under the direction of a mentor and/or team lead. This entails providing detailed drawings, specifications, calculations, and report information to the client. Projects are expected to be completed on time and on budget.
This individual is expected to delegate work effectively and promote teamwork. They will also complete the next level of the TEECOMuniversity in-house training program, receiving thorough instruction through mentorship, hands-on Revit training, and opportunities to shadow senior designers to learn from their experience.
- Represent TEECOM Values and Guiding Principles: Individual demonstrates that they CARE about clients and fellow team members, adds VALUE, and earns and builds TRUST.
- Deploy Technical Expertise: Individual has demonstrated expert skills in their trade and is able to produce as well as review, correct, and direct other technical staff to produce exemplary products (documents, etc.)
- Lead by Example: Individual sets the example for the team by aligning their actions with what they say.
- Indirect Mentorship: Individual provides indirect mentorship to anyone who asks questions or needs guidance.
- AEC industry and the design and construction of technology systems such as telecommunications infrastructure, cabling, and wired and wireless networks.
- Experience in datacenters and/or critical infrastructure facilities highly preferred.
- Delivery of system designs using an engineering approach to produce a well-coordinated set of construction documents within the project budget.
- Small to mid-sized construction projects ($100,000+ TEECOM fee) involving a multitude of disciplines with both long and fast-track timeframes (years or months) in various industry verticals (mission critical, healthcare, workplace, transportation, higher ed, government, industrial, cultural).
- Organization: Keep track of multiple projects and client and team member requests, often on a last-minute basis with excellent follow-up to assure promises are kept.
- Documentation: Accurately and concisely capture discussions in the form of meeting notes. Document design decisions, whether made by external or internal sources. Maintain an accurate project record.
- Communication: Conduct business communications in an effective, professional, and concise manner, both verbally and in written formats, and in one-on-one, small-group, and large-group settings. You must read, write, speak, compute, and problem-solve various tasks. Break down complex concepts into smaller and more digestible components that allow for a greater level of understanding by others.
- Teamwork: Work as a functional member of a team and successfully work with other teams and business functions to achieve positive results. Facilitate effective project team and cross-functional interactions (Technical, Operations, BD, Marketing, etc.).
- Problem Solving: Approach problems using a methodical and logical method to create a workable solution. Use numbers and mathematical approaches for various tasks. Conduct research using the Internet.
- Software: Use software applications effectively and efficiently (G Suite, MS Office, Bluebeam, Slack, Revit, AutoCAD MEP, Navisworks, Bluebeam Studio, etc.) to communicate and deliver work products. Learn new software and applications as needed.
- Process Oriented: Follow processes, continually seek to make processes more efficient, enforce processes, and conduct root cause analyses that lead to the update or creation of processes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Learn the building design process and the pursuit process
- Assist with fee development (PSA), proposal, and interview coordination with marketing
- Foster client relationships and fellow design team members
- Ask clients about other current or upcoming projects
- Attend client meetings with senior technical staff members and prepare meeting notes documenting relevant decisions and discussions
- Assist with client meetings and programming sessions to develop the system (telecom, security, network, audiovisual, and acoustics) parameters and design criteria
- Prepare and/or delegate mark-ups for Revit models and AutoCAD drawings
- Research technical product information
- Assist other technical staff members with job site inspections to determine existing conditions and extent of progress made by contractors
- Design, coordinate, and engineer systems per discipline (telecom, security, network, audiovisual, acoustics, Wi-Fi, etc.)
- Track decisions, budgets, and schedule for small to mid-size projects
- Prepare drawings, specifications, contract documents, and design calculations
- Assist senior staff with design team coordination (architects, engineers, TEECOM team)
- Assist with client interface between technology and facilities staff and the architects, integrators, and contractors
- Assist with the programming, design, construction, and closeout phases of each assigned project
- Perform job site inspections to determine existing conditions and extent of progress made by contractors
- Provide support to the team, develop tools, improve processes, and share technical knowledge
- Attend and contribute to internal team, discipline, and project meetings
- Assist with opinions of probable construction cost (OPCC) for systems as required
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned
- Ensure timesheets/expense reports are accurate and up-to-date daily
- Achieve billed revenue target each quarter
- Identify, prepare, and secure authorization for an Additional Services Agreement (ASA) when scope of the project deviates from the Professional Services Agreement (PSA)
- Meet project budgets and positively contribute to profitability
- Ensure that all client and design team due dates, submission dates, and completion dates are met
What Success Looks Like
- Established as an internal mentor and guides less senior staff
- Manage successful internal project team (on time, on budget, positive client feedback)
- Gain repeat clients
- Quarterly reviews are completed on schedule
- 5% or less of engineering change order errors
- Utilization equals 85%
- Average hours worked is between 40 and 50 hours per week
- Achieve goals from the Performance Plan each quarter
- Accounts Receivable (AR) over 90 days is less than 10% of the total AR
- Project stale dates are less than 3% in Vision
- Complete 100% of Asana tasks on time
- Education/Degree/Major: BS in Engineering or equivalent education/experience
- Minimum of three years of discipline (physical security/electronic security) design for facilities construction projects
- Autodesk (AutoCAD, Revit)
- Bluebeam Studio
- Microsoft Suite
- G Suite
- PSP and/or CPP
$100,000 - $130,000 a year
This compensation will vary depending on your role-related skills, experience, knowledge, and subject matter expertise. TEECOM is committed to making sure that we are the right fit for each applicant and that each applicant is the right fit for our team. As we get to know each other throughout the interview process, the compensation may vary within the stated range.
Your level will be evaluated and determined during the interview process. Please submit your resume and a cover letter.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES: Please note that TEECOM does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, TEECOM will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, TEECOM explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of TEECOM.