Principal, Sr. Consultant – Creative Technologist
New York City, NY
Project Delivery – Advance
TEECOM | the tech in architecture®
Advancing human performance. Creating more sustainable buildings. Utilizing machine learning. If these concepts intrigue you, you might be a perfect match for the energetic, collaborative environment at TEECOM. We’re a $25+ million/year consulting engineering firm that has grown at an average rate of 20% per year for the past 23 years. We create technology systems that deliver digital experiences at some of the world’s most innovative companies. We work hard in a fast-paced professional environment that will challenge you to learn and grow, and we also play hard through team lunches and philanthropic events that foster camaraderie. TEECOM is one of the fastest-growing companies in the San Francisco Bay Area and our staff has voted TEECOM one of the Best Places to Work. Join us and make TEECOM even better.
About the Position
As a senior-level engineering role, the Principal, Senior Consultant leads large and complex projects that span multiple disciplines. This individual works with clients, product manufacturers, contractors, other design team members, and other employees of TEECOM to take each project from start to finish with limited direction. This entails providing detailed drawings, specifications, calculations, and report information to the client. Projects are expected to be completed on time and on budget.
This individual is expected to delegate work effectively, promote teamwork, mentor less senior staff, develop relationships with clients leading to repeat business, collaborate with Marketing on the pursuit and interview process, and speak at events/conferences to elevate the TEECOM brand within the discipline/market. This individual will also participate in the TEECOMuniversity in-house training program, mentoring junior designers through the courses, developing new course content, and providing feedback on existing courses.
This individual will build upon existing clients, as well as develop new client relationships in the cultural, museum, and planetarium markets. In addition to having advanced audiovisual skills, this individual will have experience in museums, theater, broadcast, and exhibit design.
- Represent TEECOM Brand Promise and Values: Individual demonstrates that they CARE about clients and fellow team members, adds VALUE, and earns and builds TRUST.
- Deploy Technical Expertise: Individual has demonstrated expert skills in their trade and is able to produce as well as review, correct, and direct other technical staff to produce exemplary products (documents, etc.).
- Make Difficult Decisions: Projects are often complex, uncertain, and full of ambiguity. Individual has experience with making difficult decisions that directly impact the success of the project.
- Solicit Client Feedback: Positive and constructive feedback will have an impact on the project. Individual takes the time to routinely ask the client for feedback and documents and shares the feedback with the team.
- Develop Business: Individual has identified opportunities through relationships and networking that have or will position the firm for future work, as well as providing an excellent client experience that results in repeat work.
- Develop Training Content: Growth from within is essential as TEECOM scales. Individual creates, edits, and refines TEECOM's training material on a routine basis.
- Lead by Example: Individual sets the example for the team by aligning their actions with what they say.
- Indirect Mentorship: Individual provides indirect mentorship to anyone who asks questions or needs guidance.
- Direct Mentorship: Individual serves as a direct mentor to specific staff who seek mentorship to learn and enhance their soft and hard skills.
- Technical Expertise: Individual has a deep knowledge of their discipline that is supported by continuing education and certifications.
- Guide Decisions: Individual has direct influence on decisions and helps guide the decision in TEECOM's favor.
- Trusted Advisor: Individual has built trust among their clients and fellow team members and therefore is sought as a resource when other employees face difficult decisions and/or challenges.
- AEC industry and the design and construction of technology systems such as telecommunications infrastructure, cabling, audiovisual, security, acoustics, and wired and wireless networks.
- Delivery of system designs using an engineering approach to produce a well-coordinated set of construction documents within the project budget.
- Large and complex construction projects ($500,000+ TEECOM fee) involving a multitude of disciplines with both long and fast-track timeframes (years or months) in various industry verticals.
- Expert in the audiovisual (AV) discipline.
- Knowledge of museum, theater, broadcast, and exhibit design.
- Organization: Keep track of multiple projects and client and team member requests, often on a last-minute basis with excellent follow-up to assure promises are kept.
- Documentation: Accurately and concisely capture discussions in the form of meeting notes. Document design decisions, whether made by external or internal sources. Maintain an accurate project record.
- Communication: Conduct business communications in an effective, professional, and concise manner, both verbally and in written formats, and in one-on-one, small-group, and large-group settings. You must read, write, speak, compute, and problem-solve various tasks. Break down complex concepts into smaller and more digestible components that allow for a greater level of understanding by others.
- Teamwork: Work as a functional member of a team and successfully work with other teams and business functions to achieve positive results. Facilitate effective project team and cross-functional interactions (Technical, Operations, BD, Marketing, etc.).
- Problem Solving: Approach problems using a methodical and logical method to create a workable solution. Use numbers and mathematical approaches for various tasks. Conduct research using the Internet.
- Creativity: Able to lead clients through strategic consultative exercises that help unveil the technology possibilities of the project.
- Software: Use software applications effectively and efficiently (G Suite, MS Office, Bluebeam, Slack, and Asana etc.) to communicate and deliver work products. Learn new software and applications as needed.
- Process Oriented: Follow processes, continually seek to make processes more efficient, enforce processes, and conduct root cause analyses that lead to the update or creation of processes.
- Negotiation: Practice the Win-Win negotiation strategy to focus on TEECOM's interests. If done correctly, both parties will be satisfied with the outcome. Know your BATNA (Best Alternative To a Negotiated Agreement) before entering into a negotiation.
- Emotional Intelligence: Nurture, mentor, and manage staff who work in a deadline-driven environment on projects with complex needs. These conditions can lead to stress in team members. Know how and when to apply pressure and when to nurture staff members, resulting in high levels of effective communication, team member satisfaction, motivation, and project results, and leading to a highly functional and successful team.
- Mentorship: Mentor the technical staff and teach them the correct processes. Come prepared to maximize the effectiveness of time spent with your team, and keep timeliness in mind so that you act immediately when the situation demands it.
- Management: Break down complex projects into smaller tasks, plan, schedule, budget, and mitigate risk to successfully deliver work both for clients and internally for TEECOM. Delegate tasks to the most appropriate resource that allows for the efficient execution of the work while challenging staff and allowing them to grow.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- GET WORK
- Foster client relationships and fellow design team members
- Ask clients about other current or upcoming projects
- Lead fee development in the Professional Services Agreement (PSA), proposal, and interview coordination with marketing
- Prep and attend pursuit interviews
- Lead fee negotiations with client
- Follow up on open pursuits
- Develop additional business with client
- Attend client and/or industry events
- DO WORK
- Lead client discovery meetings to strategize on creative technology solutions
- Attend client meetings with senior technical staff members and prepare meeting notes documenting relevant decisions and discussions
- Conduct client meetings and programming sessions to develop the system (telecom, security, network, audiovisual, and acoustics) parameters and design criteria
- Delegate mark-ups for Revit models and AutoCAD drawings
- Research technical product information
- Delegate job site inspections to determine existing conditions and extent of progress made by contractors
- Design, coordinate, and engineer systems per discipline (telecom, security, network, audiovisual, acoustics, Wi-Fi, etc.)
- Track decisions, budgets, and schedule for large and complex projects
- Delegate drawings, specifications, contract documents, and design calculations
- Conduct and/or delegate design team coordination (architects, engineers, TEECOM team)
- Manage client interface between technology and facilities staff and the architects, integrators, and contractors
- Conduct and/or delegate the programming, design, construction, and closeout phases of each assigned project
- Delegate job site inspections to determine existing conditions and extent of progress made by contractors
- Prepare and/or delegate schedules and identify tasks required to complete each phase of the project
- Provide support to the team, develop tools, improve processes, and share technical knowledge
- Attend and contribute to internal team, discipline, and project meetings
- Delegate configuration and commissioning of systems to ensure 100% functionality is delivered
- Delegate opinions of probable construction cost (OPCC) for systems as required
- Perform special projects assigned by leadership related to overall management of the firm
- Provide periodic updates to leadership on project status, schedule issues, and financial performance
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned
- GET PAID
- Ensure timesheets/expense reports are accurate and up-to-date daily
- Achieve billed revenue target each quarter
- Identify, prepare, and secure authorization for Additional Services Agreements (ASA) when scope of the project deviates from the Professional Services Agreement (PSA)
- Meet project budgets and positively contribute to profitability
- Ensure that all client and design team due dates, submission dates, and completion dates are met
- Ensure billing reports are completed on time
What Success in this Role Looks Like
- Established as an internal mentor and guides less senior staff
- Manage successful internal project team (on time, on budget, positive client feedback)
- Gain repeat clients
- Quarterly reviews (Small Improvements) are completed on schedule
- 5% or less of engineering change order errors
- Utilization equals 80% +/- 2%
- Average hours worked is between 40 and 50 hours per week
- Achieve Incentive Compensation Plan (ICP) targets each quarter
- Accounts Receivable (AR) over 90 days is less than 10% of the total AR
- Project stale dates are less than 3% in Vision
- Education/Degree/Major: BS in Engineering (electrical preferred)
- Minimum of ten years of audiovisual design for facilities construction projects
- Autodesk (AutoCAD, Revit)
- Bluebeam Studio
- Microsoft Suite
- G Suite
Specific Discipline Experience
- Theater, broadcast, and exhibit experience
- Existing relationships with direct owners and architects is a plus
- EIT is a plus
- PE is a plus
- PMP is a plus
- CCNA is a plus
Supervisory / Mentorship / Training Responsibilities
- No direct supervisory responsibilities
- Manage workload scheduling
- Delegate work tasks and allotted hours to Designers and BIM Specialists
- Mentor less senior staff members
- Conduct training as needed
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation is flexible depending on experience
- Quarterly bonuses are based on performance through an Incentive Compensation Plan (ICP)
- TEECOM has excellent benefit packages to suit you and your family
- International travel is required for this position
Your level will be evaluated and determined during the interview process. Please submit your resume and a cover letter.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES: Please note that TEECOM does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, TEECOM will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, TEECOM explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of TEECOM.