Mechanical Design Engineer Internship/Co-op
Palo Alto, CA /
Teleo is a robotics startup disrupting a trillion-dollar industry. Teleo converts construction heavy equipment, like loaders, dozers, excavators, trucks, etc. into autonomous robots. This technology allows a single operator to efficiently control multiple machines simultaneously, delivering substantial benefits to our customers while significantly enhancing operator safety and comfort.
Teleo is founded by Vinay Shet and Rom Clément, experienced technology executives who led the development of Lyft’s Self Driving Car and Google Street View. Teleo is backed by YCombinator, Up Partners, F-Prime Capital, and a host of industry luminaries. Teleo’s product is already deployed on several continents and generating revenue.
Teleo is poised for rapid growth. This presents a unique opportunity to be part of a team that is creating a product with a profound impact on our customers, working on cutting-edge 100,000-pound autonomous robots, engineering intricate systems at the intersection of hardware, software, and AI, and joining the early stages of an exciting startup journey.
About the Role
As a Mechanical Design Engineer, you will be working with a small team to design, develop hardware specification documentation, prototype, analyze and manufacture computer and vehicle hardware. This includes integrating sensors and computer hardware systems into large mining and construction vehicles. You will also be tasked with testing and deploying these systems to ensure reliability in the field. You will be regularly interfacing with the software engineering and autonomy teams.
The ideal candidate will have experience with mechanical component design, CAD, structural analysis, thermal analysis, BOM management, and common manufacturing and fabrication processes.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or similar engineering degree with a specialization in mechanical component design including integration of robotics and computer hardware systems.
- Preferably with 2 years of experience or more.
- Proven experience with CAD (SolidWorks, Catia, Creo, Onshape, or similar).
- Proven experience with vehicle component design including material selection, GD&T, prototyping, and manufacturing processes.
- Experience with PLM and BOM management.
- Experience with analysis, modeling, and simulation of mechanical systems including structural, vibration, and thermal.
- Proven experience in system qualification (performing tests and data analytics): vibration, thermal, humidity, EMI/EMC, and ingress protection.
Preferred Qualifications/Bonus Points
- 2+ years of experience developing and integrating sensor and computer hardware systems on autonomous vehicles or harsh environments.
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) tools such as Abaqus, Ansys, Nastran performing structural analysis and thermal analysis.
- Experience with mechatronics including network hardware, power distribution systems, harness design, and troubleshooting electronics.
- Python or C++, familiar with software version control development tools (Github or similar).Experience developing robotics platforms using middleware (such as ROS).
Teleo is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. All qualified people are encouraged to apply.