Front End Engineer
New York, New York
Who are we?
Tempest (formerly known as Hip Sobriety) is a female-founded, first-of-its-kind digital recovery platform that provides alcohol abuse treatment for the 46 million Americans who don’t identify as addicted. We are a modern alternative to current recovery options like AA, focused on putting people at the center of their own recovery through an approach that’s empathetic, empowering, and desirable.
Tempest serves a customer currently ignored by the wellness, healthcare and recovery industries; deliver them to sobriety; and keep them engaged in an evolutionary pursuit at a fraction of the cost of traditional treatment modalities. We position sobriety less as a singular goal and more as a holistic, aspirational lifestyle, and communicate this through our meticulously designed brand, through the thoughtfulness and joy built into our products, and through our commitment to culture-shifting via The Temper, our media presence.
Our current core product--an 8-week course that combines ed tech with an online support community--has been wildly successful. To date, over 4000 participants have been through the beta course with a Net Promoter Score of ~80. About half of our sobriety school participants convert into annual members and receive access to monthly Tempest content, a supportive online community, and the opportunity to attend in real life events.
Tempest offers staff:
- An open-minded, accepting, mostly hilarious culture that believes employee happiness comes first
- Unique holidays (and a lot of them)
- Great health insurance with One Medical benefits
- $150/month wellness reimbursement
- Work from home Thursdays
- Weekly team lunch and office snacks
- Family-friendly policies
- Pre-meeting meditation practice
- Weekly support for those in recovery
- Zero happy hours
- Endless Topo Chico
Front End Engineer.
We’re looking for a front-end engineer to contribute to the development and future iteration of our consumer-facing websites. This person will be integral to growing the culture of our engineering team. This person needs to know how to collaborate and communicate with non-technical team members and take ideas and input and turn them into reality. This person should have a keen eye for design and a desire to make beautiful websites and platforms. The right person will enter our fast-paced environment and quickly build strong relationships with the team and make contributions to our growing website.
This is a full-time role based out of our New York headquarters.
We are a growing product team that already includes product managers, product designers, instructional designers, and engineers. Because of our tech-enabled product, you will be collaborating with a group of experts ranging from operations, design, curriculum development, engineering and marketing. Your role will be to build a thoughtful and engaging experience on our websites for our users. The ideal candidate will have a strong grasp of writing elegant code and working cross functionally.
- You’ll work directly with members of our marketing team as well as with our product managers and designers to translate technical requirements into code, consult on prioritization of website features, and build and refine new features.
- You’ll be responsible for the management and optimization of our website, working closely with the marketing team to make updates and implement A/B tests.
- You’ll be a master of focus, skillfully deploying new features and releases as we look to rapidly grow our consumer-facing websites.
- A minimum of 2-4 years of experience in software engineering
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices
- Experience in agile teams with working knowledge on how work gets from ideation to production
- Experience with product and marketing engineering
- Experience with automated testing
- Strong focus on clean code and robust design with a focus on reusability and iteration
- Strong familiarity with React, or a similar front-end framework.
- Good Front End development skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience designing email templates
- Experience with Prismic, Wordpress, or another CMS is a plus
You May Be a Good Fit If You..
- Are excited and empowered by a mission-driven company & culture of building products and tools that positively impact the well-being of our students and users
- Are a demonstrated and celebrated teammate & leader - someone whom your previous teams would love to work with again.
- Are a hustler - you love the early-stage process of product development and enjoy owning the larger goal.
- Are able to balance vision with details and impending deadlines - you embrace a “ship fast” mentality
- Are a great partner-in-crime - you can think at a strategic level as a co-conspirator and thought partner for your colleagues, manager, and everyone you interact with.
What we value and why you should join.
We’re a group of passionate and committed individuals determined not only to create a modern, feminist, inclusive, recovery modality but also to entirely upend the way our culture views alcohol—we are the anti-Rose All Day. We have a scrappy, get it done upstart ethos. We believe in showing up no matter what, honesty at all costs, persistence, straight-talking, and risk-taking. We’re not looking culture fits, we’re looking for individuals looking to build an entirely new culture. You should join if you want to make a difference in the world, and see this as the obvious way for you to do just that.