New York, New York
Clinical & Research
Who are we?
Tempest (formerly known as Hip Sobriety) is a female-founded, first-of-its-kind digital recovery platform that provides alcohol abuse treatment for the 46 million Americans who don’t identify as addicted. We are a modern alternative to current recovery options like AA, focused on putting people at the center of their own recovery through an approach that’s empathetic, empowering, and desirable.
Tempest serves a customer currently ignored by the wellness, healthcare and recovery industries; deliver them to sobriety; and keep them engaged in an evolutionary pursuit at a fraction of the cost of traditional treatment modalities. We position sobriety less as a singular goal and more as a holistic, aspirational lifestyle, and communicate this through our meticulously designed brand, through the thoughtfulness and joy built into our products, and through our commitment to culture-shifting via The Temper, our media presence.
Our current core product--an 8-week course that combines ed tech with an online support community--has been wildly successful. To date, over 4000 participants have been through the beta course with a Net Promoter Score of ~80. About half of our sobriety school participants convert into annual members and receive access to monthly Tempest content, a supportive online community, and the opportunity to attend in real life events.
Tempest offers staff:
- An open-minded, accepting, mostly hilarious culture that believes employee happiness comes first
- Unique holidays (and a lot of them)
- Great health insurance with One Medical benefits
- $150/month wellness reimbursement
- Work from home Thursdays
- Weekly team lunch and office snacks
- Family-friendly policies
- Pre-meeting meditation practice
- Weekly support for those in recovery
- Zero happy hours
- Endless Topo Chico
Tempest is looking for an experienced and organized Research Assistant (PT) to work with Tempest for 10-15 hours/week to help support Tempest’s research strategy and execution of our clinical research protocols. The ideal candidate has an interest in or experience working in clinical research, ideally in the behavioral health space Reporting directly to the COO, this individual will help us execute on our clinical research protocols, and will support outreach, data collection, and analysis for our online assessments. This role will be based in New York, NY, but is open to remote candidates. Current undergraduate or graduate students looking for part-time roles are encouraged to apply.
- Help run our virtual clinical efficacies studies for our online alcohol use disorder programs
- Ensure all activities associated with our research are completed in accordance to our protocols
- Manage and document initial outreach to participants
- Send follow up assessments and ensure timely completion
- Prepare data for and support analysis
- Help inform strategy and design of subsequent research studies
- Help inform the survey tools we use as an organization for all data collection
- Undergraduate Student or Bachelor’s degree; Ideally in psychology, biology or a related field
- You have experience in or are excited to work in a mission-driven and/or non-profit organization
- You have previous clinical trial / clinical research experience
- You bring strong organizational and project management skills
- You’re obsessed with this problem of addiction and committed to delivering better solutions for people dealing with substance abuse.
- You are comfortable in a fast-paced, early stage company work environment
- Excellent excel, powerpoint, word skills.
You May Be A Good Fit If You
- Are excited and empowered by a mission-driven company & culture of building products and tools that positively impact the well-being of our students and users
- Are a demonstrated and celebrated teammate & leader - someone whom your previous teams would love to work with again.
- Are a hustler - you love the early-stage process of product development and enjoy owning the larger goal.
- Are able to balance vision with details and impending deadlines - you embrace a “ship fast” mentality
- Are a great partner-in-crime - you can think at a strategic level as a co-conspirator and thought partner for your colleagues, manager, and everyone you interact with.
What we value and why you should join.
We’re a group of passionate and committed individuals determined not only to create a modern, feminist, inclusive, recovery modality but also to entirely upend the way our culture views alcohol—we are the anti-Rose All Day. We have a scrappy, get it done upstart ethos. We believe in showing up no matter what, honesty at all costs, persistence, straight-talking, and risk-taking. We’re not looking culture fits, we’re looking for individuals looking to build an entirely new culture. You should join if you want to make a difference in the world, and see this as the obvious way for you to do just that.