Senior Product Designer
New York, New York
Who are we?
Tempest (formerly known as Hip Sobriety) is a female-founded, first-of-its-kind digital recovery platform that provides alcohol abuse treatment for the 46 million Americans who don’t identify as addicted. We are a modern alternative to current recovery options like AA, focused on putting people at the center of their own recovery through an approach that’s empathetic, empowering, and desirable.
Tempest serves a customer currently ignored by the wellness, healthcare and recovery industries; deliver them to sobriety; and keep them engaged in an evolutionary pursuit at a fraction of the cost of traditional treatment modalities. We position sobriety less as a singular goal and more as a holistic, aspirational lifestyle, and communicate this through our meticulously designed brand, through the thoughtfulness and joy built into our products, and through our commitment to culture-shifting via The Temper, our media presence.
Our current core product--an 8-week course that combines ed tech with an online support community--has been wildly successful. To date, over 4000 participants have been through the beta course with a Net Promoter Score of ~80. About half of our sobriety school participants convert into annual members and receive access to monthly Tempest content, a supportive online community, and the opportunity to attend in real life events.
Tempest offers staff:
- An open-minded, accepting, mostly hilarious culture that believes employee happiness comes first
- Unique holidays (and a lot of them)
- Great health insurance with One Medical benefits
- $150/month wellness reimbursement
- Work from home Thursdays
- Weekly team lunch and office snacks
- Family-friendly policies
- Pre-meeting meditation practice
- Weekly support for those in recovery
- Zero happy hours
- Endless Topo Chico
We’re looking for a product designer to contribute to the design of our digital platform. This person will work closely with the product design lead to drive the development of our content and platform. This person will masterfully coordinate across teams including product management, marketing, operations, and engineering to design a user-friendly and intuitive educational experience and platform. The right person will enter our fast-paced environment, quickly build strong relationships with the team, take the time to really understand our users, and develop and execute a plan.
This is a full-time role based out of our New York headquarters.
We are a growing product team that already includes product managers, product designers, instructional designers, and engineers. Because of our tech-enabled product, you will be collaborating with a group of experts ranging from operations, design, curriculum development, engineering and marketing. Your role will be to leverage this group to build a thoughtful and engaging experience and platform for our users. The ideal candidate will have a strong grasp of influential leadership, working cross functionally, and designing intuitive and elegant platforms and user experiences.
- Work closely with curriculum design, engineering, and operations to design and implement experiences for our members, service providers, and operations teams across mobile, web, and potentially in person.
- Understand every detail of our member, service provider, and operations team’s experience - you will own our customer journey from acquisition through recovery and beyond.
- Contribute in an agile work environment on a design team that aims to redefine how we think about addiction recovery, community, and healthcare products and experiences.
- You’re obsessed with designing intuitive online experiences
- You love understanding complex, multi-user workflows and information and distilling them into delightfully simple solutions.
- You are user centric and showcase empathy in your design thinking and decisions.
- You have experience conducting some degree of user prototype testing.
- You excel in an agile environment and in growing startups.
- You are comfortable building prototypes and communicating directly with engineers on the technical constraints of various approaches.
- You are detailed, organized, and methodical when building out design components and contributing to a design system.
- You enjoy sketching and wireframing, testing, designing, and iterating to perfection.
- You are a pro at building cross-functional team relationships that produce great work.
- 2-4 years of hands-on design experience working within a design consultancy, studio, or in-house product / creative department.
- Comfortable with design tools such as Sketch, InVision, Figma, and the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Submission of a digital portfolio is required.
What we value and why you should join.
We’re a group of passionate and committed individuals determined not only to create a modern, feminist, inclusive, recovery modality but also to entirely upend the way our culture views alcohol—we are the anti-Rose All Day. We have a scrappy, get it done upstart ethos. We believe in showing up no matter what, honesty at all costs, persistence, straight-talking, and risk-taking. We’re not looking culture fits, we’re looking for individuals looking to build an entirely new culture. You should join if you want to make a difference in the world, and see this as the obvious way for you to do just that.