New York, New York
Who are we?
Tempest (formerly known as Hip Sobriety) is a female-founded, first-of-its-kind digital recovery platform that provides alcohol abuse treatment for the 46 million Americans who don’t identify as addicted. We are a modern alternative to current recovery options like AA, focused on putting people at the center of their own recovery through an approach that’s empathetic, empowering, and desirable.
Tempest serves a customer currently ignored by the wellness, healthcare and recovery industries; deliver them to sobriety; and keep them engaged in an evolutionary pursuit at a fraction of the cost of traditional treatment modalities. We position sobriety less as a singular goal and more as a holistic, aspirational lifestyle, and communicate this through our meticulously designed brand, through the thoughtfulness and joy built into our products, and through our commitment to culture-shifting via The Temper, our media presence.
Our current core product--an 8-week course that combines ed tech with an online support community--has been wildly successful. To date, over 4000 participants have been through the beta course with a Net Promoter Score of ~80. About half of our sobriety school participants convert into annual members and receive access to monthly Tempest content, a supportive online community, and the opportunity to attend in real life events.
Tempest offers staff:
- An open-minded, accepting, mostly hilarious culture that believes employee happiness comes first
- Unique holidays (and a lot of them)
- Great health insurance with One Medical benefits
- $150/month wellness reimbursement
- Work from home Thursdays
- Weekly team lunch and office snacks
- Family-friendly policies
- Pre-meeting meditation practice
- Weekly support for those in recovery
- Zero happy hours
- Endless Topo Chico
Tempest is seeking a senior copywriter to help to tell the story of Tempest across our marketing website, emails, and advertising. The ideal candidate has a knack for telling stories in a relatable, funny, and empathetic tone. Whatever the task, your prime directive will be to make sure the Tempest story is super-engaging: compelling, rewarding, informative, accessible, and consistently told. This is a full-time position based in our office in New York City. The Senior Copywriter will report to the VP of Marketing.
- Work closely with the Marketing and Customer Experience teams from conceptualization through iteration to create copy that communicates the Tempest brand and experience
- Collaborate with our designers to elevate the brand across materials and platforms
- Think strategically about how each message communicates an idea, evokes an emotion, and encourages an action
- Participate enthusiastically in creative meetings, bringing your full efforts to each marketing message to optimize performance of our marketing assets
- Craft and help strategize advertising copy that arrests, intrigues, delights … and converts!
- Write and help strategize homepage copy that hooks into an emotional need, clearly communicates the value proposition and brings the user further into the Tempest experience with brevity and wit
- Write and help strategize direct-response emails and product announcements that stand out in any inbox and deliver information concisely
- Regularly audit marketing messaging for freshness, consistency, appropriates to target markets, and conversion performance, helping evolve brand identity and voice as the company evolves
- 4-7 years of relevant copywriting experience working at an agency or startup
- A strong digital background across channels, with an impressive portfolio to prove it
- Demonstrated skill turning complex ideas, market research, and data into engaging, informative, and clear brand language and stories
- A snappy and empathetic writing style, able to write in a smart, bold, accessible, and fun voice
- Proficiency adapting that voice across various platforms and uses without losing the brand
- Familiarity with SEO, UX, A/B testing, and user testing
- Ability to move quickly from concept to whiteboard to execution
- Openness to receiving feedback and having your opinions challenged
- Exceptional grammar, copy editing, proofreading, and verbal communication skills
- Self-starting and experience balancing and prioritizing different projects at once; communicating progress, and delivering on time
- The power to thrive in an unstructured, fast-moving and constantly evolving high-growth environment
- Passion for our mission
What we value and why you should join.
We’re a group of passionate and committed individuals determined not only to create a modern, feminist, inclusive, recovery modality but also to entirely upend the way our culture views alcohol—we are the anti-Rose All Day. We have a scrappy, get it done upstart ethos. We believe in showing up no matter what, honesty at all costs, persistence, straight-talking, and risk-taking. We’re not looking culture fits, we’re looking for individuals looking to build an entirely new culture. You should join if you want to make a difference in the world, and see this as the obvious way for you to do just that.