Commercial Strategy Director
New York, New York
Who are we?
Tempest (formerly known as Hip Sobriety) is a female-founded, first-of-its-kind digital recovery platform that provides alcohol abuse treatment for the 46 million Americans who don’t identify as addicted. We are a modern alternative to current recovery options like AA, focused on putting people at the center of their own recovery through an approach that’s empathetic, empowering, and desirable.
Tempest serves a customer currently ignored by the wellness, healthcare and recovery industries; deliver them to sobriety; and keep them engaged in an evolutionary pursuit at a fraction of the cost of traditional treatment modalities. We position sobriety less as a singular goal and more as a holistic, aspirational lifestyle, and communicate this through our meticulously designed brand, through the thoughtfulness and joy built into our products, and through our commitment to culture-shifting via The Temper, our media presence.
Our current core product--an 8-week course that combines ed tech with an online support community--has been wildly successful. To date, over 4000 participants have been through the beta course with a Net Promoter Score of ~80. About half of our sobriety school participants convert into annual members and receive access to monthly Tempest content, a supportive online community, and the opportunity to attend in real life events.
Tempest offers staff:
- An open-minded, accepting, mostly hilarious culture that believes employee happiness comes first
- Unique holidays (and a lot of them)
- Great health insurance with One Medical benefits
- $150/month wellness reimbursement
- Work from home Thursdays
- Weekly team lunch and office snacks
- Family-friendly policies
- Pre-meeting meditation practice
- Weekly support for those in recovery
- Zero happy hours
- Endless Topo Chico
Commercial Strategy Director
Tempest is looking for an experienced strategist and/or consultative sales leader to build out our commercial function. The ideal candidate has worked in the behavioral health field in a consulting, program/product development, and/or business development role. Reporting directly to the COO, this person will be responsible for helping to set our payor and employer product and contracting strategy. She will also help build our sales pipeline and be measured against the ability to develop and close key external relationships. The Director, Commercial Strategy, will also have to work closely with internal stakeholders across operations, product, marketing and customer experience to help drive the organizational readiness needed to successfully implement these relationships. This role will be based in New York, NY, with an expectation of travel 1-2 weeks/month.
- Lead market segmentation and analysis across the broader healthcare landscape
- Work across functions to help design and develop our commercial offerings and pricing/contracting strategy
- Develop and manage a meaningful sales pipeline with signed contracts in Q4 2020
- Support the management of our initial implementations through go-live to ensure successful launch
- In partnership with marketing, create product marketing strategy to establish Tempest as a thought leader and go-to partner for AUD treatment
- Represent Tempest at key industry events and conferences
- Scope, develop and manage select channel and distribution partnerships
- Work closely with COO on Tempest research efforts to align outcomes with partner needs
- Measure success of efforts through ongoing data collection and analysis
- Work closely with Product to ensure all technical requirements are ready for implementation and to inform the Enterprise product roadmap
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s (MBA, MPH) preferred.
- 5-7 years of work experience in consulting, healthcare, or a related field
- Knowledge of the behavioral health industry, and/or experience working in healthcare more broadly
- Experience developing and closing client relationships, ideally in a sales or business development role
- Ability to work independently and strategically, and prioritize ruthlessly
- Attention to detail and willingness to manage process persistently
- Good “client hands” and EQ with both external and internal stakeholders
- Fearlessness in your willingness to outreach, make connections, and build your network
- Experience working with and managing outside consultants and lobbyists
- Excellent powerpoint, excel, and presentation skills
You May Be A Good Fit If You
- Are excited and empowered by a mission-driven company & culture of building products and tools that positively impact the well-being of our students and users
- Are a demonstrated and celebrated teammate & leader - someone whom your previous teams would love to work with again.
- Are a hustler - you love the early-stage process of product development and enjoy owning the larger goal.
- Are able to balance vision with details and impending deadlines - you embrace a “ship fast” mentality
- Are a great partner-in-crime - you can think at a strategic level as a co-conspirator and thought partner for your colleagues, manager, and everyone you interact with.
What we value and why you should join.
We’re a group of passionate and committed individuals determined not only to create a modern, feminist, inclusive, recovery modality but also to entirely upend the way our culture views alcohol—we are the anti-Rose All Day. We have a scrappy, get it done upstart ethos. We believe in showing up no matter what, honesty at all costs, persistence, straight-talking, and risk-taking. We’re not looking culture fits, we’re looking for individuals looking to build an entirely new culture. You should join if you want to make a difference in the world, and see this as the obvious way for you to do just that.