Director of Design and User Experience
San Francisco /
Tempo is a next-generation home fitness system—and the first and only strength training solution that can track your motion and use that data to give you a richer, more effective, and safer workout in live and on-demand classes. Using 3D sensors and A.I., Tempo enables expert coaches to correct your form and provide personalized feedback in real-time.
Headquartered in San Francisco, Tempo's all-star team includes alumni from Apple, Pixar, Airbnb, YouTube, Netflix, Lyft, Tesla, Equinox, and Orangetheory. We recently raised a $60 million round of Series B funding from General Catalyst, Norwest Venture Partners, Founders Fund, Khosla Ventures, DCM, Bling Capital, and Signal Fire.
Tempo is seeking an experienced and passionate leader to develop and lead a world-class design team. As our Director of Design, you’ll manage a growing team of designers, researchers, and writers. You will champion the role of design at Tempo, represent the voice of our users internally, and work with colleagues across product, design, fitness, and marketing to create an inspiring vision for our future product and then work tirelessly to make it happen.
You should have relentlessly high standards for our users, and will ensure that we’re elevating the experience, look, and feel of Tempo products. You are fluent with design at both the macro and micro levels. We’re looking for a strategic leader who is willing and able to dive into the day-to-day details critical to both driving execution and make sure we’re consistently shipping polished, thoughtful products. You’re a seasoned recruiter and can help bring the top talent to work on Tempo and our vision. We’re a mission driven company, so experience and passion for fitness and health is a big plus, as is previous experience in a related industry.
What You'll Do:
- Manage multiple project timelines and deliverables both at a leadership level and within the design team
- Manage, mentor, and grow a team of top-notch designers with continuous design reviews, thought partnership, and feedback
- Actively shape and steer Tempo’s product design system
- Identify potential design gaps, ideate new features and proactively address innovative solutions
- Collaborate with Engineering, Product and Marketing to execute on our roadmap and drive our iterative design process forward
- Contribute to design thinking at the company, resulting in tangible improvements across our portfolio of products – as well as to how we approach and solve customer problems
- Own UX and foundational research. Gather insights to inform the company strategy & product roadmap and socialize through the company
- Effectively communicate and present solutions to user problems across the organization
- 10+ years of relevant design experience
- Previous experience building and managing a team of designers, researchers, and writers
- Experience working on social or consumer facing products across multiple platforms
- A strong sense of user empathy and experience using different insights and research methods to represent the voice of the customer in a fast-paced environment
- Problem solver who can be effective in situations with limited information, building a solution from first principles and communicating it to stakeholders
- Humble, driven, and motivated to ship the best product
What We Can Offer You:
- Competitive compensation package
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Collaborative start-up culture with a close-knit team and the opportunity to build from the ground up
- Tremendous opportunities for growth