Director of Accounting
San Francisco /
Tempo is a next-generation home fitness system—and the first and only strength training solution that can track your motion and use that data to give you a richer, more effective, and safer workout in live and on-demand classes. Using 3D sensors and A.I., Tempo enables expert coaches to correct your form and provide personalized feedback in real-time.
Headquartered in San Francisco, Tempo's all-star team includes alumni from Apple, Pixar, Airbnb, YouTube, Netflix, Lyft, Tesla, Equinox, and Orangetheory. We recently raised a $60 million round of Series B funding from General Catalyst, Norwest Venture Partners, Founders Fund, Khosla Ventures, DCM, Bling Capital, and Signal Fire.
You are responsible for accounting, tax, payroll operations, equity administration and maintenance of systems, controls and procedures. You will build and lead a team over time to support Tempo’s financial operations and will also implement systems, policies and processes to support our growth. This role reports to the VP of Finance.
What You'll Do:
- Responsible for all accounting operations including billing, A/R, A/P, GL, payroll, revenue recognition, financial reporting, stock plan administration, and external audit relationships.
- Responsible for the preparation of accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year-end close processes and the preparation of internal and external financial statements in accordance with GAAP.
- Oversee audit processes and proactively communicate with auditors on accounting for complex transactions.
- Develop, implement and maintain the internal systems and financial controls consistent with Tempo’s policies and regulatory guidelines, ensuring compliance with all local, state and federal tax requirements and filings.
- Provide subject matter expertise on implementation of accounting policies.
- Build relationships and partner with all departments to provide data and insights to help managers run the company and make effective decisions.
- Evaluate opportunities for scale and growth and consider ways to drive efficiency and automation.
- Build and coach a high performing team over time.
- 8+ years experience, currently a Director of Accounting, Assistant Controller, or Controller preferably in both US and Global operating environments.
- 4+ years audit/assurance experience from a Big 4 public accounting firm.
- A strong technical accounting background, CPA required.
- A proven track record of leading and building top-tier accounting teams.
- Experience in helping drive toward IPO readiness and leading ERP implementation is a big plus.
- Experienced in retail, e-commerce, consumer packaged goods, subscription businesses or internet/technology is another big plus.
- Adept at manipulating, analyzing and auditing large volumes of data.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral.
What We Can Offer You:
- Competitive compensation package
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Collaborative start-up culture with a close-knit team and the opportunity to build from the ground up
- Tremendous opportunities for growth