Lead Back End Engineer
San Francisco /
Tempo is the next-generation home fitness system—and the first and only strength training solution that can track your motion and use that data to give you a richer, more effective, and safer workout in live and on-demand classes. Using 3D sensors and A.I., Tempo enables expert coaches to correct your form and provide personalized feedback in real-time. It captures motion by emitting pulses of infrared light 30 times a second, generating a 3D model of your body made up of 80,000 individual points.
Tempo is thriving and we’re experiencing growth of over 300% in sales. We recently raised $17.5M in Series A funding from Founders Fund, Khosla Ventures, DCM, Bling Capital, and Signal Fire. Tempo's all-star team includes alumni from Apple, Pixar, Airbnb, YouTube, Netflix, Equinox, and Orangetheory.
Tempo is seeking a Lead Back End Engineer to join our growing Engineering team. You will be responsible for leading the development of features for the Tempo service while providing mentorship and guidance to a small team. You’ll be responsible for architecting and delivering features for Tempo’s back-end systems. Using your expertise in Python, AWS, and Systems Architecture, you will develop robust solutions to manage our data, APIs, live video systems, and other critical back-end features. If you want to work on the latest in machine learning and AI at a fast growing start-up, then we would love to meet you!
- 5+ years of professional software development experience in back-end development roles
- Deep expertise in Python/Flask development
- Strong knowledge of Devops and general Systems Architecture
- Leadership experience in terms of leading a major project or leading a small team
- Expertise in scaling back-end applications and services
- Familiarity with Git and Agile best practices
- CI experience (Travic, Circle, Jenkins, etc.)
- Experience shipping clean, maintainable code
- Stellar written and verbal communication skills
- Strong desire to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- BS in Computer Science or related technical field
- Experience managing or working with remote teams in other countries
- Linux programming experience
- M.S. in Computer Science or related technical field
- Experience with SQL or other relational databases
- Passion for fitness
What We Can Offer You:
- Competitive compensation package with meaningful equity
- Collaborative start-up culture with a close-knit, all star team
- Tremendous opportunities for personal growth
- Comprehensive health benefits and unlimited PTO
- Health related perks - Team workouts on Fridays and access to personal trainers
- Opportunity to make a huge impact and define the future of the product
Tempo is headquartered in San Francisco and is the next-generation home fitness system – and the first and only weight training solution that can track your motion and use that data to give you a richer, more effective, and safer workout in live and on-demand classes. Using 3D sensors and A.I., Tempo enables expert coaches to correct your form and provide targeted feedback in real-time. Our flagship product is a combination hardware, software, and content-streaming device that packages an immersive 42” touchscreen display, competition-grade weight set, and other accessories in a sleek, free-standing industrial design.