Senior Software Design Engineer - OSS
Within the United States /
Engineering – Open Source Server /
Who We Are
Temporal is an open source programming model that can simplify code, make applications more reliable, and help developers focus on the important things like delivering features faster. Our amazing user community provides us with real-time feedback and contributions to improve the developer experience everywhere.
Backed by top VC firms, we have built a team of professionals from various successful start-ups and well-known technology companies. Together, we collaborate cross-functionally, engage with and support our users to improve the developer experience, deliver world-class open-source software, and enhance our commercial SaaS platform.
Temporal is growing and working towards building the best community. We are looking for those who share our values, challenge 'standard' thinking, and want to influence our future. If you have a passion for helping developer communities, open-source software, and want to be a part of our amazing team, we'd love to hear from you!
Temporal’s Open Source Server (OSS) team is responsible for developing all of Temporal’s server-side features to support Temporal as the Durable Execution Platform. As Temporal becomes the foundation of more mission-critical systems, ensuring high reliability is our top priority. The projects from the Open Source Server (OSS) team range from developer-facing features to non-user-facing backend systems.
As a Senior Engineer, you will get the chance to design, build, and maintain significant portions of our backend functionality for highly scalable, multi-tenant services. Examples of the key distributed systems components you’ll own include Quotas, Throttling, Visibility, Task Processing, Matching etc. Working in a highly collaborative team, we’ll look to build a new enterprise offering that will involve both on-premise and dedicated cloud offerings.
What You’ll Do
- Design and implement core backend service features.
- Provide appropriate test coverage for unit, integration, and performance for your feature ownership area.
- Clearly document design choices and operational knowledge to successfully deploy and run service with those features.
- Provide appropriate service level logs and metrics to make features operational for cloud service setup.
- Provide appropriate alerts, dashboards, and runbooks for production.
What You’ll Need
- 5 or more years of experience working with highly scalable distributed systems.
- Solid computer science fundamentals in distributed systems concepts including multi-threading and concurrency.
- Experience with Go or Java or other applicable languages.
- Experience working with Open Source Systems.
- Experience building systems with technologies like Kafka, Cassandra, MySQL, Elasticsearch.
- Experience building and running services on AWS. Bonus: Microsoft Azure and Google GCP experience.
- The estimated pay range for this role is $150,000 - $200,000.
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Temporal's equity plan.
Compensation ranges reflect salary and commission compensation (when applicable) across several geographic markets. Employment offers carefully consider multiple factors, including prior experience, knowledge, expertise, skillset, market location, and job level assessed during the interview process.
- Unlimited PTO, 12 Holidays & 2 Floating Holidays
- 100% Premiums Coverage for Medical, Dental / Ortho, and Vision Benefits
- AD&D, LT & ST Disability, and Life Insurance (Standard & Supplemental Available)
- 401K Plan
- Up to 20 weeks of parental leave for birth parents and 12 weeks of leave for non-birth parents, including adoptive and foster parents
- $1,500 / Year Career Development & Learning Stipend
- $1,200 / Year Lifestyle Spending Account
- $1,000 / Year In-Home Office Setup (In addition to Temporal issued equipment - laptop, monitor, keyboard, mouse, trackpad, and extension power cable at no cost to you)
- $500 / Year Professional Memberships
- $300 / Month Work From Home Meals
- $74 / Month Reimbursement for Internet
- Calm App Subscription for Mental Health & Wellness
- An "All Access" pass to a WeWork location
Temporal Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Temporal Technologies does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. We embrace and celebrate differences and diversity.
We are not working with external recruitment agencies, thanks.