Studio Design Director
NYC Home Office
Real Estate & Development
At Tend, we’re combining top-notch care with incredible environments, elevated hospitality, consumer-grade technology, and curated products to redefine going to the dentist as a whole-you wellness experience.
Tend is seeking a Studio Design Director as a key member of our Studio Development team (Tend locations). Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, they will lead our Studio Design function and be responsible for oversight, strategic planning and implementation of the Design Process in NYC and beyond. As Studio Design lead, this person will implement and continuously improve our design and construction standards for all locations, driving to better cost and timeline metrics while delivering a best-in-class experience for Tend guests. Externally, to be best positioned for success, this individual will foster productive working relationships with the design and construction contracting community that provides services to Tend. Internally, he or she will collaborate across the organization with other departments including Construction, Real Estate and Operations.
As Studio Design Director, you will deeply understand Tend’s brand DNA in order to successfully own and lead studio development design initiatives. The ideal candidate enthusiastically takes on new opportunities and displays an optimistic “one team, one dream” attitude.. S/he is comfortable holding self and others accountable to meet agreed-upon commitments, and demonstrates professional savvy to efficiently get things done with a focus on continuous improvement. The successful candidate has experience making sense of complex and high quantity information, and is able to acquire relevant data from diverse sources when solving problems. If you are energized by a high growth organization and enjoy working collaboratively internally and with external stakeholders, we’d love to speak with you!
You'll likely work on:
- Manage and drive Tend’s design and development processes for studio environments from kick-off to final approval (design, finishes, FF&E, etc.)
- Initiate conceptual designs, evolve schematic and design development with both in-house and consulting teams.
- Coordinate all design team communications, updates, adjustments with cross-functional partners internally and vendors externally.
- Be able to jump in and build files in CAD or Revit when it’s necessary. This person will be the main contributor prior to building the team.
- Understand the construction budgeting process and cost impacts resulting from design or architectural changes.
- Work with internal Real Estate and Construction teams as well as outside architects, interior designers, and brokers to quickly evaluate prospective new offices.
- Responsibility for “buildability” and articulation between designs, plans and full construction documents.
- Deliver projects on-time, under budget delivery of well executed retail merchandising projects meeting all brand requirements.
- Responsibility for creating, maintaining and enhancing Tend’s FF&E database
You'll be set up for success if:
- 10-15 years of experience in the space design industry, managing a team.
- Retail, hospitality or multi-unit, bricks and mortar design required Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Interior Design, Architecture, or Industrial Design.
- Master at managing several projects at one time.
- Excellent ability to work with and manage 3rd party stakeholders.
- Strong problem-solving and decision making skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop relationships across all levels.
- Ability to balance design, with operational needs and budget objectives (including FF&E, color and materiality).
- Skilled in the visual, written and verbal communication of design issues.
- Ability to translate stated design principles/objectives into varied studio locations.
- Excellent project management and time management skills, with strong attention to detail.
- Effectively collaborates and communicates with internal teams and external partners.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, SketchUp, 3D rendering, and Adobe CSProficiency in Revit is a strong bonus
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY. Expected travel ~30% of the time both within NYC and nationally.
Our goodie bags are pretty impressive!
Our comprehensive benefits & perks program will make you grin. Employer-sponsored healthcare coverage, 401(k) with an employer match, generous paid time off, and more!
We still have our baby teeth. But the big ones are coming in quickly. Join us as we expand our footprint across NYC and launch into new markets while building a diverse, multidisciplinary team that can bite off anything!