Nashville Home Office
Tech & Engineering
Sink your teeth into something new.
Tend is the world’s first dental wellness experience. Dental care used to be just about your teeth. We make it about your entire wellbeing. With doctors you love, technology that eases, and an environment that soothes, we turn every moment of your visit into a whole-you wellness experience. Before, the best you could hope for was “You won’t feel a thing.” At Tend, we want you to feel something great.
We’re looking for brush buffs, gargle gurus, floss bosses (and novices, too), and anyone who cares about making dentist visits something to savor to join our small and growing team. Headquartered in NYC and Nashville with dental practices opening in Manhattan in 2019, we’re building a totally fresh take on oral wellness, and we want you to sink your teeth in, whether you swear by mint or cinnamon (or chai).
As an Engineer, you’ll work across teams to solve interesting, large-scale problems, at a rapid pace, with direct, lasting impact anywhere that technology powers our business. Ideally, you’ll have a keen mind for solving tough problems with the most-ideal solution, partnering effectively with various team members along the way.
- Establish design and architecture best practices.
- Build new successful and enriching products to positively influence the patient journey & experience through our platforms.
- Deliver on the product-driven goals for both internal and external teams, ensuring our core engineering values remain a priority.
- Lead by example for other members of the team as a dedicated, passionate, and flexible technologist who is constantly looking for the ideal solution to a problem.
- Keep up to date on modern technologies and trends and advocate for their inclusion within products when it makes sense.
- Work collaboratively within an agile environment to help deliver end-to-end products and features, seeing them through from conception to delivery.
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, and resolve issues quickly and effectively when they arise.
- Provide technical guidance and help mentor engineering, QA, operations, and product staff to deliver the best possible solutions for the company.
- Help define, document, evolve, and evangelize high engineering standards and best practices across multiple areas.
- Move quickly and intelligently - seeing technical debt as your nemesis.
Qualifications & Experience
- Proven track record of practical, thoughtful problem-solving.
- Extensive experience working on high-traffic systems.
- Extensive experience working with relational and non-relational data structures and stores.
- Advanced experience working within large-scale decoupled, service-oriented systems.
- Advanced experience working with APIs / in an API-driven environment.
- Advanced experience working with one or more of the following: React.js, Next.js, Node, Python, PostgreSQL.
- Experience working in and advocating for agile environments.
- Experience working within environments that use automation, CI, and CD concepts to rapidly deliver, measure, and iterate on products and features.
- Experience with testing systems and concepts like test-driven development and an understanding of why are critical to success for an engineering team.
- Experience building applications and working with underlying systems that work within fully containerized environments (Docker, Kubernetes, Heroku).
- Experience working within cloud-based environments like AWS and GCP - specifically related to networking, compute, database, cache, and storage services
- Experience with, or the desire to work within a collaborative, pair programming-driven engineering environment.
- An active member of the open-source and the local tech community a plus.
- Experience working with retail, e-commerce, and POS systems a plus.
- Experience working within PCI-compliant, HIPAA-compliant environments a plus.
Our goodie bags are pretty impressive!
Our comprehensive benefits & perks program will make you grin! Employer-sponsored healthcare coverage (including the best dental care anywhere!), 401(k) with an employer-match, generous paid time off plus company holidays, ClassPass benefit (because we want you to tend to your whole body), a pre-tax commuter benefit, and more!
We still have our baby teeth. But the big ones are growing in quickly. Join us as we launch our first NYC locations in 2019 and build a diverse, multidisciplinary team that can bite off anything!