Senior UI Designer - Remote
San Francisco Bay Area /
At Tendermint Inc., we build, maintain, and promote critical state-of-the-art infrastructure for decentralized applications, such as Tendermint Core & Cosmos SDK. We are the team who designed and implemented the gold standard of proof of stake protocols and got it launched on a public blockchain network, Cosmos. We’re passionate, self-driven, industry leaders whose vision is to empower every human to contribute to solving the world’s most urgent and complex problems. We believe that the technology we're building will have a major impact on how humans connect and coordinate on a global scale. Join our growing team and plug into the most powerful blockchain ecosystem.
How we work:
We have team members working from across North America, Europe, and Asia. We leverage agile methodologies to move quickly and stay focused. Communication is important to us and we rely heavily on Slack, Zoom, and GitHub to help us stay in sync. All the technology we build is open source. This is a full-time remote position and you’re free to work from anywhere. Be advised that most team meetings occur between 8am and 12pm Pacific Time (UTC-8/-7). If you're applying from a location where these hours are outside your usual working hours, you’ll be expected to adapt to our meeting times.
About the position:
Tendermint’s Design team is seeking a talented, multi-disciplined designer with extensive experience producing UI and visual designs for a variety of products and mediums. We’re looking for a motivated and versatile individual who demonstrates a strong creative flair, has an eye for pixel-perfect visual design, a passion for clean and simple user interfaces, and above all, puts the end-user at the heart of their design process. Your work will be hugely impactful, as your designs will be visible to a rapidly growing, international audience of Cosmos users.
What you will be doing:
- Gather and evaluate requirements in collaboration with project leads, front-end engineers, and key stakeholders.
- Prepare and present rough drafts regularly to internal teams and key stakeholders for feedback.
- Illustrate ideas using sketches, storyboards, wireframes, diagrams, mockups and prototypes.
- Design high-fidelity mockups and prototypes for websites and applications, using an atomic design or component-based methodology to abstract reusable patterns into an evolving design system.
- Participate in design discussions and give feedback during product and marketing planning and strategy meetings.
- Contribute and adhere to brand guidelines on typography, iconography, colors, imagery and graphic style across various brands.
- Define, create, and improve the tools and processes that accelerate design and developer-handoff workflows.
- Improve the communication of complex technical concepts using clear and simple graphic designs for websites, applications and marketing materials - e.g. branded imagery, technical diagrams, visualizations, infographics, animations etc.
- Design and build robust templates for presentations, email communications in CRM platforms, and a wide variety of other marketing materials.
We're looking for someone who has:
- A strong portfolio demonstrating 6+ years of experience with a breadth of UI and visual design capabilities.
- High level of proficiency and creative flair in visual communication, UI design, visual design principles, typography, iconography, responsive design etc.
- Experience in the design thinking process and lean startup methodologies.
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment.
- Experience creating digital visual assets for a variety of target audiences.
- Strong knowledge of current UI design best practices and web production techniques and limitations. Working knowledge of CSS and HTML ideal, but not essential.
- Experience working directly with front-end developers to translate designs into production-ready code.
- Solid understanding of component-based design systems and maintaining style guides.
- Ability to create animated visuals primarily for the web. Experience with interaction design and motion design would be ideal.
- Proficiency with modern design tools like Figma (our tool of choice) and ability to learn and adapt to new ones.
- Photo and video editing expertise would be a bonus.
- Clear and concise written and oral English communication skills.
- Interest in emerging interactive technology in web, mobile, and other devices.
What we offer:
- The opportunity to be part of building the future of the Internet
- Flexible work schedule
- Excellent benefits like educational budget, fitness and wellbeing spend
- At least 4 weeks of paid vacation
- Competitive salary package, including equity
- To apply, please go through our online application process and include a cover letter with a link to your portfolio.
Tendermint in the news: