Terraform is automating on-site construction with robotics and software. Our mission is to make construction primarily software-defined and work towards a future where beautiful, bespoke buildings are built within a single day with minimal labor.
We're in the first days of building the company and we are recruiting for the early engineering team. This is a unique opportunity to be one of the first ten employees at a startup be immersed in a high-growth, high ambition startup environment, and to work with an experienced founding team surrounded by top-tier investors from day 1.
You can read a bit more on why we believe you should spend your time working on construction, learn more about our vision and about the company.
You’ll help us build control systems that integrate real-time embedded software and high-speed electronics that run our robotics. For example, you will:
1.) Design and model controls for various robotic arm configurations–both usual (e.g. a 6DOF arm) and unusual (e.g. a custom 4DOF XYZ-style crane)
2.) Design and model controls for small vehicles (e.g. an AGV) that can move around a construction site
3.) Define, select and design controllers through trade-offs in cost and performance. Specify, select and implement the right actuators.
4.) Implement the (embedded) code necessary to bring your control algorithms to action.
What you'll be responsible for
- Design and implementation of controls algorithms, both prototype quality for early experiments and production quality for real-world use.
- Design and build tools that allow debugging, analysis, and performance evaluation of your algorithms.
- Design and implement localization algorithms (e.g., SLAM) and ensure we use the right sensors and logic to figure out where we are in world-space.
- Root cause analysis and general debugging skills whenever things fail.
- Source relevant materials and components effectively (fast and cheap) with suppliers for the first prototypes.
What we’re looking for
- Practical experience implementing algorithms for the calibration and motion control and path planning of complex robotic systems.
- Practical and theoretical knowledge on modeling, signal processing, motion planning, collision avoidance and SLAM.
- Proven experience in programming with C, C++, or preferably in Rust.
- Experience in deploying controls algorithms and embedded programming on microcontrollers (e.g., ESP32)
- Experience in troubleshooting issues and conducting root cause analysis.
- Experience in reading and creating electric system schematics.
- Preferred experience in building prototypes in a zero-to-one environment and/or top student teams.
- B.Sc. in Electrical-, Mechanical-, Mechatronics-, Controls System Engineering or equivalent.
Interested? Get in touch with us: email@example.com, and tell us a bit about the most interesting or difficult project you’ve worked on to date.
If you don’t meet all the qualifications here but are excited about Terraform and feel you’d still be able to help us solve difficult problems, do get in touch. We are open to generalists with a demonstrated ability to focus on outcomes and get things done and are comfortable with you learning things as you go along.