Lead NLP Data Scientist
UK - Onsite London / Remote /
Engineering – Engineering - UK Timezone /
Permanent Full Time
Tessian protects every business’s mission by securing the human layer 💫
We're building intelligent security that works for human beings as they are, not how security policies would like them to be. Using machine learning technology, Tessian automatically predicts and eliminates advanced threats on email caused by human error - like data exfiltration, accidental data loss, business email compromise and phishing attacks - with minimal disruption to employees' workflow. As a result, employees are empowered to do their best work, without security getting in their way.
Founded in 2013, Tessian is backed by renowned investors like Sequoia, Accel and Balderton and has hubs in San Francisco, Boston, and London.
Data Science at Tessian
Our mission is to secure the human layer. This involves deploying near real-time machine learning models at massive scale to some of the world’s largest organisations to keep their most sensitive data private and secure. To do this, we're looking for a senior data scientist with NLP experience ready to work on hard problems, drive best practice and cultivate an environment of experimentation and learning.
Companies can leverage data science in a number of ways, and we think the role of a Data Scientist falls into three distinct categories:
1) You work for a business function analysing & reporting on how to improve a key metric, e.g increasing user conversion
2) You are responsible for writing production models to enhance the main product, e.g recommendation systems for e-commerce
3) You build the product - without machine learning, it wouldn't exist
The Data Science team built the product at Tessian. We couldn't exist without our machine learning models; they are at the heart of what we do, and they are what our clients rely on day-to-day. We're searching for a Lead NLP Data Scientist who is excited about the opportunities and challenges that come with researching, building and deploying real-time production models.
In this role, you’ll get to:
- Work across massive enterprise email datasets
- Deploy models to production that impacts directly our customers and products
- Improve our ML workflow
- Collaborate with engineering and product leaders to develop a product suite that is continually detecting more advanced threats for our customers
- Make your mark on leading ambitious projects
- Mentor and knowledge share with data scientists at Tessian
We’d love to meet someone who
- 4+ years Data Science experience
- Has strong NLP experience (in production)
- Has worked with, or understands the principles behind working with data at scale
- Can balance longer term projects alongside impactful quick wins
- Cares deeply about the impact their team has
- Is a creative at heart, and can encourage novel ways of thinking in their team. This has always been a core part of the data science team’s DNA
- Reads Rules of Machine Learning - Martin Zinkevich and it resonates with how they think about machine learning and data science
Why we think you'll love it here 😍....
It’s important to us that all Tessians are part of the journey we’re on, so we offer equity options with every role and benchmark to provide above market rate salaries - there’s plenty more too….
Be at your best, both inside and outside of work
- 25 days of paid holiday (plus 8 bank holidays, and an additional day for every year you've worked at Tessian!)
- Private health insurance provided through Vitality Health and mental health support through our Employee Assistance Program
- Classpass - subsided access to gym time and classes all across London
- Choice First: Do your best work, in the way that works best for you
- Flexible working hours and working from home (if you're not already remote!)
- Work-from-home subsidy upon joining, so you can kit out your home office
- Enhanced pension contributions, matched up to 5%
- We’re family friendly, with policies built to support you in all stages of life
- High-quality tech kit provided for you to work on, plus Tessian ANC headphones
- If you're relocating to join the team, we'll provide a contribution to help with your costs
- Elite membership of the Tessian House System...
- Every other Wednesday we stop at 5 and share team updates and drinks
- Never-ending ping-pong tournaments
Equality & diversity ⚖️
Tessian is an equal opportunity employer, committed to equality and diversity amongst both our employees and prospective applicants. The Human Layer we're securing is diverse, and we know we need to be diverse and inclusive to successfully create HLS that reflects this. You can read our equality and diversity statement here.
As part of our commitment to equality and diversity, we're also a corporate member of the WISE Campaign for gender equality in STEM & we're a founding member of the WEDS network driving diversity & inclusion in startups.
Obligatory small print
Please note that we do not accept applications or résumés from recruiters. Any unsolicited CVs, profiles, or names, submitted in any format, by any channel, to any of our team, will be deemed to fall outside any terms and/or conditions with either the person submitting the information or their company of employment/representation.
Please note, that any job offers will be subject to the candidate passing background screening checks.
We're a #LI-Remote company offering Choice First working practices where possible.