Senior Backend/NodeJS Engineer
UK - (Remote / London Office) /
Engineering – Engineering /
Permanent Full Time
Tessian protects every business’s mission by securing the human layer
The Tessian Cloud Email Security platform helps enterprises defend against email attacks, protect against data loss and respond to security incidents more efficiently. By combining artificial intelligence with an understanding of employee email behavior, Tessian is able to prevent complex email attacks and data loss incidents that evade Secure Email Gateways and the built in security controls of M365 and Google Workspace.
The world's largest banks, healthcare organizations, hedge funds and law firms all use Tessian to secure their email environments, data and people whilst saving their security team time. In 2022 alone, Tessian prevented hundreds of thousands of business email compromise attacks, data loss incidents and saved hundreds of hours of work for security teams.
Tessian is headquartered in London and Boston with 200+ employees globally and has raised over $120m in venture capital funding from world leading investors like Sequoia, Accel, Balderton, March, Citi and Okta. Tessian was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies for 2022. More information can be found at www.tessian.com.
Backend Engineering at Tessian
At Tessian, we're building the world’s first Human Layer Security platform. We’re making a difference by providing automatic, real-time protection against threats such as social engineering, human error, & data exfiltration, for people all around the world.
We're looking for backend engineers to build out our platform, drive our ability to scale, and grow with us as a company. You’ll stop criminal threats and prevent embarrassing mistakes for millions of people.
Our high-volume, low-latency backend systems power the whole product. From deploying data science models in production to integrating with our front end, you'll be involved in projects that span all aspects of the business. Our mission critical product and high volumes of data mean you will have many challenging problems to solve.
You’ll be surrounded by incredibly smart, talented and friendly colleagues. Engineers at Tessian love to learn from each other and pull together as a team to succeed. We all have a say in what we build and how we build it and you will be empowered - and encouraged - to have an opinion.
We know that we do our best work and have the most fun as a diverse team that represents our users and the world we live in. We work hard to develop our incredible Tessians and ensure that the Engineering team is a fantastic place to work for every gender, ethnicity, age, race, sexual orientation and educational background. We also seek diversity of experience:some of our engineers have been building distributed backend systems in Typescript/Node.js for years, and some have learned the ins and outs of their tech stack and language on the job.
Read more about Engineering at Tessian:
We can hire this role to be office or hybrid based from our London office, or offer full remote working within the UK, we cannot offer visa sponsorship or relocation for this position. We cannot hire remote candidates outside of the UK.
As a Tessian Backend Engineer you will
- Design and build reliable distributed systems that handle high volumes of data with low latency
- Maintain and support business-critical systems where scale, latency and cost are front-of-mind.
- Ship code to production every day using CI/CD
- Tackle the challenges that come with processing highly sensitive data
- Learn to build with security in mind
- Make your mark on ambitious projects
- Typescript/Node.js (depending on team)
- Environments built around Docker and AWS
- High volume NoSQL databases
- Concourse for CI/CD
- Terraform built environments
Our backend tech stack includes
We'd love to meet someone who
- Has at least 4+ years of Software Engineering experience
- Preferably has experience with AWS services (Lambda, SQS, DynamoDB etc.)
- Is a great problem solver who takes pride in their work
- Enjoys collaboration and working with others
- Values getting things done over getting things perfect
- Is comfortable with the unknown and loves to experiment
- Can construct good arguments for methodologies or practices
- Has worked with, or understands the principles behind working with data at scale
- A passionate software developer, with NodeJS or Typescript experience or excited to learn Typescript
- Ideally has an interest in machine learning
Our mission to empower and protect people is a reflection of two of our values: Human First and We Do the Right Thing. For us, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is also a reflection of these core values.
As a human first company, we are committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment where all our Tessians have the opportunity to thrive. We strive for a better Tessian, and a better world. We're working inside and outside Tessian to improve diversity and equity in our industry, and foster an environment where everyone feels a sense of belonging.
Our strategy touches each part of a Tessian’s life cycle, from applicant to employee, ensuring that we keep DEI at the core of every point in our candidate and employee experience. Read more about our DEI commitments here.