Applied Data Scientist
London, United Kingdom
Engineering – Engineering & Platform
Permanent Full Time
Data Science at Tessian
At Tessian, we're building machine-intelligent filters to secure enterprise communications. This involves deploying near real-time machine learning models at massive scale to some of the world’s largest organisations.
Our mission is to keep the world’s most sensitive data private and secure - to do this we're looking for data scientists who pride themselves on their ability to learn new skills, are comfortable with the unknown, and are willing to experiment.
We believe data scientists can fall into three valuable roles:
1) You work for a business function analysing & reporting on how to improve a key metric, e.g increasing user conversion
2) You are responsible for writing production models to enhance the main product, e.g recommendation systems for e-commerce
3) You are the product
Tessian couldn't exist without our machine learning models; it’s at the heart of what we do, and it’s what our clients rely on day-to-day. We're looking for data scientists who are excited about the opportunities and challenges that come with researching, building and deploying real-time production models.
We're looking for applicants with a minimum of 2 year's production experience, or you've completed a machine learning/statistics/physics PhD and want to become more applied. You should have experience owning complex projects from start to finish.
As a Tessian Data Scientist you will
- Use machine learning to eliminate advanced security threats - our models are built to detect anomalies in the intricacies of human-to-human communications
- Brainstorm ideas with your team and quickly mock up prototypes in Jupyter Notebooks
- Be thrown into the exciting unknown - we like to focus on new problems so there is little prior research to rely on
- Be responsible for getting your work into production (see here)
- Work closely with the backend engineering team to deploy, monitor and iterate on your models
- Learn new technologies and help decide which should make it into our production stack
Why we think you'll love it here
- You’ll work alongside amazing, high-performing colleagues
- We offer a competitive salary and equity options with every role
- Everyone gets 25 days of paid annual leave (33 days including bank holidays)
- Company contributions are made towards your pension
- You’ll get brand-new high-spec equipment to work on
- Flexible start times on the Engineering team
- We have a communal company lunch twice a month, and regular team socials and activities
- There are plenty of office snacks including fruit, nuts, bread, and cereals, and amazing coffee
- We offer a cycle to work scheme, eyecare vouchers and childcare vouchers
- Weekly yoga sessions in the office
- If you’re coming from abroad, we’ll provide relocation assistance including flights, accommodation in an AirBnB for 3 weeks, and salary payments to an international bank. Over 25% of the company is international and we’re always as supportive as we can be in helping people make the move
Tessian is a machine intelligent email security platform to automatically prevent cybersecurity threats like spear phishing, misaddressed emails, unauthorized emails (data loss) and non-compliance.
We’re a team of mathematicians, data scientists & engineers building breakthrough machine learning and natural language technology to analyse, understand & protect enterprise email networks.
We’ve just announced our raise of £9m ($13m) in a Series A round led by Balderton Capital and Accel Partners. Last year our business grew 400% and our team expanded from 13 to 120 people; we have ambitious growth plans for the next year, spanning all areas including our product offerings and our sales & marketing divisions. We’re excited about where this next phase of our growth will take us - we hope you are too, so we encourage you to apply today to be part of the next leg of the Tessian journey.
We’re backed by world-leading venture capital funds who’ve invested in companies like Facebook, Slack, Dropbox, Improbable & Transferwise & we’ve been named on the prestigious Forbes 30 Under 30 list, crowned the “Best Security Startup” by WIRED magazine, and awarded “Best Innovation in Data Protection & Privacy” by CogX.
You can check out some photos of our team on our Instagram, or take a look at our company page. You can also find us on Glassdoor.
Equality & diversity
Tessian is an equal opportunity employer, committed to equality and diversity amongst both our employees and prospective applicants. You can read our equality and diversity statement here. We're also a corporate member of the WISE Campaign for gender equality in STEM, and our CFO is the Chair of the WISE Young Professionals' Board.
How to apply
Please click on the 'Apply for this Job' button below to be taken to the application form which will collect all the necessary information.
Want to make your application stand out? We value well thought-out, Tessian-specific cover letters; you can write yours in the 'Additional Information' section of the application form.
Please note that we do not accept applications or résumés from recruiters.
Please note, that any job offers will be subject to the candidate passing background screening checks.