Applied Data Scientist
London, United Kingdom
Engineering – Engineering - London
Permanent Full Time
We believe technology should secure the digital interactions of employees without compromising user experience or productivity. That’s why we’re building the world’s first Human Layer Security platform.
We’re a team of mathematicians, data scientists & engineers building breakthrough machine learning and natural language technologies to analyse, understand & protect enterprise email networks.
Tessian is backed by leading technology investors Sequoia Capital and Accel who have helped build many industry defining companies including Stripe, Slack, Crowdstrike and Dropbox.
We'd love to hear from you.
Data Science at Tessian
At Tessian, we're building machine-intelligent filters to secure enterprise communications. This involves deploying near real-time machine learning models at massive scale to some of the world’s largest organisations.
Our mission is to keep the world’s most sensitive data private and secure - to do this we're looking for data scientists who pride themselves on their ability to learn new skills, are comfortable with the unknown, and are willing to experiment.
Companies can leverage data science in a number of ways, and we think the role of a Data Scientist falls into three distinct categories:
1) You work for a business function analysing & reporting on how to improve a key metric, e.g increasing user conversion
2) You are responsible for writing production models to enhance the main product, e.g recommendation systems for e-commerce
3) The product that the company sells is the machine learning models you build
Tessian couldn't exist without our machine learning models; it’s at the heart of what we do, and it’s what our clients rely on day-to-day. We're looking for data scientists who are excited about the opportunities and challenges that come with researching, building and deploying real-time production models.
We're looking for applicants with a minimum of 1 year's production experience, or you've completed a machine learning/statistics/physics PhD and want to become more applied, or have experience owning complex projects from start to finish.
As a Tessian Data Scientist you will
- Use machine learning to eliminate advanced security threats - our models are built to detect anomalies in the intricacies of human-to-human communications
- Brainstorm ideas with your team and quickly mock up prototypes in Jupyter Notebooks
- Be thrown into the exciting unknown - we like to focus on new problems so there is little prior research to rely on
- Be responsible for getting your work into production (see here)
- Work closely with the backend engineering team to deploy, monitor and iterate on your models
- Learn new technologies and help decide which should make it into our production stack
Why we think you'll love it here
- You’ll work alongside amazing, high-performing colleagues
- We offer a competitive salary and equity options with every role, with annual salary reviews.
- Everyone gets 25 days of paid annual leave (33 days including bank holidays)
- Company contributions are made towards your pension
- You’ll get a high-spec tech kit to work on & get to choose your OS
- Flexible morning start-times on the engineering teams
- One week of remote working from abroad per year
- We have regular communal company lunches, and regular team socials and activities
- Fully stocked kitchen with plenty of office snacks including fruit, nuts, bread, cereals, and amazing coffee
- We offer a cycle to work scheme & eye-care vouchers
- Parents and carers are guaranteed one day per week of work-from-home, and we'll give you an extra day of annual leave to take your child to their first day of nursery and primary school
- Generous enhanced Maternity & Paternity leave
- If you’re coming from abroad, we’ll provide relocation assistance. Over 25% of the company is international and we’re always as supportive as we can be in helping people make the move
Equality & diversity
Tessian is an equal opportunity employer, committed to equality and diversity amongst both our employees and prospective applicants. The Human Layer we're securing is diverse, and we know we need to be diverse and inclusive to successfully create HLS that reflects this. You can read our equality and diversity statement here.
As part of our commitment to equality and diversity, we're also a corporate member of the WISE Campaign for gender equality in STEM & we're a founding member of the WEDS network driving diversity & inclusion in startups.
Please note that we do not accept applications or résumés from recruiters. Any unsolicited CVs, profiles, or names, submitted in any format, by any channel, to any of our team, will be deemed to fall outside any terms and/or conditions with either the person submitting the information or their company of employment/representation.
Please note, that any job offers will be subject to the candidate passing background screening checks.