Python Backend Engineer
London, United Kingdom
Engineering – Engineering & Platform
Permanent Full Time
Python Backend Engineering at Tessian
At Tessian, we're building machine-intelligent filters to secure enterprise communications. This involves high volume, low latency data processing for some of the world’s largest organisations.
Our mission is to keep the world’s most sensitive data private and secure - to do this we're looking for backend engineers to help build out our platform supporting our next stage of growth.
The backend systems power the whole company and our teams have touch points with all of our engineering teams. From deploying data science models in production to integrating with our front end, you'll be involved in projects that span all aspects of the business.
Our teams are made up of people from diverse backgrounds; some have been building Python systems for years and some have learnt the ins and outs of Python on the job. Primarily, we are looking for self starters who are excited and passionate to learn.
As a Tessian Backend Engineer you will
- Design reliable distributed systems that handle high volumes of data with low latency
- Maintain and support business-critical systems
- Ship code to production every day using CI/CD techniques
- Tackle the challenges that come with processing highly sensitive data
- Value security over box-ticking
- Make your mark on ambitious projects
Our backend tech stack includes
- Python 3
- Environments built around Docker and AWS
- High volume PostgreSQL databases
- Concourse for CI/CD
- Terraform built environments
We'd love to meet someone who
- Is a great problem solver who takes pride in their work
- Values getting things done over getting things perfect
- Is comfortable with the unknown and loves to experiment
- Can construct good arguments for methodologies or practices
- Has worked with, or understands the principles behind working with data at scale
- A passionate software developer, either with Python experience or excited to learn it
- Ideally has an interest in machine learning
Why we think you'll love it here
- You’ll work alongside amazing, high-performing colleagues
- We offer a competitive salary which will depend on your specific experience, with annual benefit and salary reviews
- Equity options are offered with every role
- Everyone gets 25 days of paid annual leave (33 days including bank holidays)
- Company contributions are made towards your pension
- Choose your own kit: laptop and OS
- Flexible start times on the tech team
- We have a communal company lunch twice a month, and regular team socials and activities
- There are plenty of office snacks including fruit, nuts, bread, and cereals, and amazing Ozone coffee
- We offer a cycle to work scheme, eyecare vouchers and childcare vouchers
- Weekly yoga sessions in the office
- If you’re coming from abroad, we’ll provide relocation assistance including flights, accommodation in an AirBnB for 3 weeks, and salary payments to an international bank. Over 25% of the company is international and we’re always as supportive as we can be in helping people make the move
Tessian is a machine intelligent email security platform to automatically prevent cybersecurity threats like spear phishing, misaddressed emails, unauthorized emails (data loss) and non-compliance.
We’re a team of mathematicians, data scientists & engineers building breakthrough machine learning and natural language technology to analyse, understand & protect enterprise email networks.
We’ve just announced our raise of £9m ($13m) in a Series A round led by Balderton Capital and Accel Partners. Last year our business grew 400% and our team expanded from 13 to 50 people; we have ambitious growth plans for the next year, spanning all areas including our product offerings and our sales & marketing divisions. We’re excited about where this next phase of our growth will take us - we hope you are too, so we encourage you to apply today to be part of the next leg of the Tessian journey.
We’re backed by world-leading venture capital funds who’ve invested in companies like Facebook, Slack, Dropbox, Improbable & Transferwise & we’ve been named on the prestigious Forbes 30 Under 30 list, crowned the “Best Security Startup” by WIRED magazine, and awarded “Best Innovation in Data Protection & Privacy” by CogX.
You can check out some photos of our team on our Instagram, look at our company page. You can also find us on Glassdoor.
Equality & diversity
Tessian is an equal opportunity employer, committed to equality and diversity amongst both our employees and prospective applicants. You can read our equality and diversity statement here. We're also a corporate member of the WISE Campaign for gender equality in STEM, with a staff member on the WISE Young Women's Board.
How to apply
Please click on the 'Apply for this Job' button below to be taken to the application form which will collect all the necessary information.
Want to make your application stand out? We value well thought-out, Tessian-specific cover letters; you can write yours in the 'Additional Information' section of the application form.
Please note that we do not accept applications or résumés from recruiters.
Please note, that any job offers will be subject to the candidate passing background screening checks.