Head of Data Science
London, United Kingdom
Engineering – Engineering Leads
Permanent Full Time
We believe technology should secure the digital interactions of employees without compromising user experience or productivity. That’s why we’re building the world’s first Human Layer Security platform.
We’re a team of mathematicians, data scientists & engineers building breakthrough machine learning and natural language technologies to analyse, understand & protect enterprise email networks.
Tessian is backed by leading technology investors Sequoia Capital and Accel who have helped build many industry defining companies including Stripe, Slack, Crowdstrike and Dropbox.
We'd love to hear from you.
Data Science at Tessian
Our mission is to secure the Human Layer. This involves deploying near real-time machine learning models at massive scale to some of the world’s largest organisations to keep their most sensitive data private and secure. To do this, we're looking for an inspiring Data Science leader ready to lead and grow our Data Science team, cultivating an environment of experimentation and learning.
Companies can leverage data science in a number of ways, and we think the role of a Data Scientist falls into three distinct categories:
1) You work for a business function analysing & reporting on how to improve a key metric, e.g increasing user conversion
2) You are responsible for writing production models to enhance the main product, e.g recommendation systems for e-commerce
3) You build the product - without machine learning, it wouldn't exist
The Data Science team build the product at Tessian. We couldn't exist without our machine learning models; it’s at the heart of what we do, and it’s what our clients rely on day-to-day. We're searching for a leader who is excited about the opportunities and challenges that come with researching, building and deploying real-time production models.
We’re looking for applicants with previous experience managing applied Data Science teams at companies where machine learning and data science are critical to the company’s products. More junior than this? Check out our non-senior role variant here.
If you're interested in hearing more about Data Science at Tessian, read our blog post here!
Read more about Engineering at Tessian:
In this role, you will get to
- Build out and develop an already successful data science team working across massive enterprise email datasets
- Collaborate with engineering and product leaders to develop a product suite that is continually detecting more advanced threats for our customers, you’ll report directly to the CTO
- Set the direction, strategy and processes for the team. You define what success looks like
- Develop a world-class data science brand for Tessian by encouraging your team to write and speak about the work they do
We'd love to meet someone who
- Is an inspiring leader that people want to learn from and follow
- Has a strong track record building and developing applied data science teams who can take ownership of their work from idea through to production
- Has worked closely with engineering teams building complex data pipelines (involving distributed data systems such as Spark) and automated model pipelines (training, deploying and monitoring)
- Knows what an effective data science team looks and can implement tools and processes that you’ve had previous success with
- Can balance longer term projects alongside impactful quick wins
- Cares deeply about the impact their team has
- Is a creative at heart, and can encourage novel ways of thinking in their team. This has always been a core part of the data science team’s DNA
- Reads Rules of Machine Learning - Martin Zinkevich and it resonates with how they think about machine learning and data science
Why we think you'll love it here
- It’s important to us that all Tessians are part of the journey we’re on, so we offer equity options with every role and benchmark to provide above market rate salaries - there’s plenty more too….
- A full week of work-remote a year, in addition to 25 days of paid holiday
- Flexible working hours and working from home
- Curate your career with development experiences uniquely suited to you
- We’re family friendly, with policies built to support you in all stages of life
- High-quality tech kit provided for you to work on including Tessian ANC headphones
- If you're relocating to join the team, we'll provide a contribution to help with your costs
- A plethora of breakfast options, delicious snacks, drinks and a top-of-the-range coffee machine
- Team lunch provided on Fridays - normally with more hummus than you can shake a stick at
- Dinner budget for those times you just can’t tear yourself away
- Elite membership of the Tessian House System...
- On Fridays we stop at 5 and share team updates and drinks
- Monthly team socials & a big, whole team extravaganza every quarter
- Never-ending ping-pong tournaments
Be at your best, both inside and outside of work
Because everyone loves food...
Equality & diversity
Tessian is an equal opportunity employer, committed to equality and diversity amongst both our employees and prospective applicants. The Human Layer we're securing is diverse, and we know we need to be diverse and inclusive to successfully create HLS that reflects this. You can read our equality and diversity statement here.
As part of our commitment to equality and diversity, we're also a corporate member of the WISE Campaign for gender equality in STEM & we're a founding member of the WEDS network driving diversity & inclusion in startups.
Please note that we do not accept applications or résumés from recruiters. Any unsolicited CVs, profiles, or names, submitted in any format, by any channel, to any of our team, will be deemed to fall outside any terms and/or conditions with either the person submitting the information or their company of employment/representation.
Please note, that any job offers will be subject to the candidate passing background screening checks.